HOW MUCH LIFT FOR ME?

Hello. I have a 2006 Wrangler X that I would like to lift. I am totally clueless and I don't know whether or not I need a body lift, suspension lift, or both. I do know I do not want more than 2 or 3 inches for a lift. Here is what I am looking to achieve:

I would like to put 31 inch tires (maybe 32's) on the jeep without having to re-calibrate the speedometer. I also do not want to change the T-case fixings or the steering components. And I do not want to have to worry about tire rub. I am not sure if I would need new shocks either to accommodate the lift.

I would like to also put wider tires on my ride to give her that "beefy stance", but I am not sure how wide I can go without causing any damage or problems (275/285 maybe) with tires rubbing on sharp turns. Basically, what I want to do is get the lift and slap new tires on my ride and just drive with no other modifications. Any suggestions on how much lift, what size tires (I am thinking maybe 275 or 285/75/15), and what brand of lift I would need would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Tracie

You don't need a lift to fit 31x10.5 tires.

You can go with a simple and cheap coil spacer lift to get another 1.5" or so easily which makes the stance look a little nicer. You would need longer shocks for this or any lift.

Steering has a simple adjustment to prevent the tires from rubbing on full turn.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> Hello. I have a 2006 Wrangler X that I would like to lift. I am
Reply to
Mike Romain

You can get coil spring spacers, you'll spend about $100. You will not need new shocks for less than 2" of lift.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Thanks for the advice, but can you give any suggestions on how wide of a tire I can get without worrying about tire issues? My rims are 15 inch rims. Also, the coil spacers are those spacers (usually 1 inch) that fit underneath the coil springs correct?

Reply to
Tracie

Oh, I forgot to ask....would I want to go with a body lift or a suspension lift?

Reply to
Tracie

Suspension.

IMO you should not put in more than a 1" body lift. And if you do that, you should do the 1" motor mounts also.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

If money isn't an issue go buy the Old man emu 2.5" lift. You can run

32's with it. What is your backspacing on your wheels? If it is 4" or less, run 32x12.5 meat.
Reply to
ULB

And those hard core Jeepers go with leaf springs:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Anytime Jeff, just trying to enlighten you about the correct type of lifts out there. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

"Those?" Bill, I think you meen "Two hard core jeepers go with leaf springs...."

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Imagine how much more flex he would've had if he had went with coils. ;)

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Screw flex, I want lift!

Ever notice how CJ's don't need that heavy rocker protection and extra under carriage protection the new Jeep need?

There is a reason for this....

When a CJ lifts it wheel to go over a rock or series of them, it lifts the whole side of the body and the undercarriage up out of the way.

When a TJ does this, it just lifts the wheel out of the way because it has great 'flex' allowing the rockers and undercarriage to scrape along the rocks... Hence the need for 'rock rails', etc...

Mike

Mike Romain

My no-longer-in-the-stable F250 articulated like a Bobcat. Same with the Excursion.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

While I'm at it I may as well install Rockwell axles and 47" Swampers for a daily driver.

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Matt Macchiarolo

Get longer shocks and remove the stabilizer bar, like this leaf spring:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Bingo! And we use our leaf springs to slide over rocks, where that wheel can't reach the ground. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Maybe, but tires and axle have nothing to do with the leaf spring's articulation:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

articulation:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.billhughes.com/>

I think I am going to go with a 4" Trailblazer series lift from Old Man Emu. Anyone have any opinions about the quality of this lift? Also, with a 4" lift, do I need a slip yoke eliminator or a new driveshaft? THANKS AGAIN.

Reply to
Tracie

I agree that flex is over-rated. How much traction can a a tire have hanging way down with little weight on it?

Reply to
nrs