how to align steering wheel after lift?

I just installed a Tera 3T lift, RE adjustable front track bar and JKS disconnects on my '01 TJ. (What a weekend of fun!) I did not install the dropped pitman arm as I've heard it's not needed for lifts under 4". I'm getting ready to do check toe-in, but noticed my steering wheel is almost upside down. How can I fix this?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Scramlin

Thanks Earle. I'm going to try not to use the dropped pitman arm if at all possible. A buddy of mine just sent me this link:

which answered all of myquestions. Thanks again, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Scramlin

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

The TJ design is similar to the XJ design, in that the toe-in will change slightly as the axle compresses/droops...the drag link extends all the way to the passenger's side steering knuckle, and the tierod is attached a few inches inboard of the knuckle, extending to the driver's side. It makes sense that a dropped pitman and a dropped track bar/frame bracket would work in tandem, but not separately; that said, any lift under 5" for a TJ probably won't need either, it's when you get in the 6-10" range you'll need the corrective geometry.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

It will go back about a quarter turn as soon as it gets a good off road bouncing to loosen it up is my bet.

Steve Seppala adjusted his steering wheel straight after a 4" lift and on the first good off road bounce run his wheel clocked off close to 30 deg. He was sure something had let loose, but nope, it just settled in.

Mike

Mike Romain

The right answer is to take any vehicle in for a professional alignment following a suspension lift. Let them adjust everything. If something is out of spec and will lead to tire damage it is cheaper to fix now than waiting for the tires to fail. just eye-balling the toe in is not the best answer.

Sean

99TJ 2KXJ

Reply to
Sean Prinz

Indeed, with a TJ it's critical you get the thing aligned. Most leaf spring lifts won't affect alignment at all (unless there's a longer shackle involved), however the TJs a different matter due to the variables involved in the control arm settings. Depending on the lift It's likely to be off significantly or not at all.

Aligning the steering wheel is simple, just loosen the clamps on the drag link (pitman to tie rod) sleeve, turn the drag link until the wheel returns to a dead ahead position and tighten back down. FWIW, if the sleeve is frozen on the drag link spray it down well with WD40, then heat it gently with a torch to break the bond.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Eyeballing?

Forget that man.

Use a tape measure and set it exact!

I run BFG 33x9.5 muds and did my own alignment after all new front end parts and a lift.

My tires are wearing perfectly still 3 years later.

It is easy, find the mold seam in the tires and use that as the measuring spot, then measure across as high as you can go in the back and the same height in the front, then adjust until you have about 1/16 less across the front to the back. (on my CJ7 anyway)

Mike

Sean Pr>

Reply to
Mike Romain

You can't measure from the sides of the tires because they can be different by an amount greater than the measurement tolerance. If one wishes to do a driveway alignment, the mold seams in the tires must be the measurement point because this point is in the same position all of the way around the tire.

You can do a driveway alignment by measuring from the sides of the tread, but (like you said, George) the same locations must be used for each check and recheck, but if the mold mark in the center of the tire is used, you don't have to measure from the exact same place on each check and recheck because the mold seams will always be straight. The tolerance for a correct toe-in adjustment is less than 1/8th inch variance at the front measuring point and the rear measuring point, a molding error in the tread blocks could be this amount and still get through the inspection process.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I suppose you're right, but if we want to be completely accurate we measure toe with a tape measure, should we? ;-)

I generally measure from the floor to the center of the hub, take that reading and make marks on both the front & rear insides of the sidewalls, then measure side to side on each. Frankly if it's within 1/8" either way, for this kind of shade tree technique, it's fine.

I'd still say for his TJ he really needs to get it set up on a proper, calibrated alignment rack & set all 4 wheels properly. He didn't mention his rear axle, but with the complexities of the TJs track arms, etc. this is just a good, prudent step to take. Can also dial out / in any driveline vibration while they're at it.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Well no, but if we are going to do things with a stone axe and hammer, shouldn't we at least try to be accurate with our swing?

I get it. I simply measure from the 3:00 and 9:00 positions, or as close as I can physically get taking the frame and other obsticles into consideration.

Yes, for his TJ, he needs to consider other things as well. I think that given his original question, he has something wrong if the steering wheel is off by nearly 180°. (He did say the wheel was nearly upside down.) If he had said that the steering wheel was off by the amount needed to make a lane change, then we could tell him the shadetree methods and be pretty sure he would be OK when he was done.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
TJim

Jeff's suggested method is what everyone I know uses, and I've done it that way for years myself. It is a superb method that works well and provides accurate results. Do use the mold-marks Jeff mentions as measurement points, it's the only way to get accurate and repeatable measurements.

It works well for me, especially in view of the fact I always get much better than typical tire wear out of my big-a$$ tires.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford