How to remove padded dash?

Please take a look at this picture:

need to remove that padded dash in order to paint the console.There are 4 sheet-metal screws along the bottom edge of it. If Iremove those 4 screws, it feels as if though there is still somethingholding that dash in place. Is there some kind of trick to removingthe dash after taking out those four screws? It kinda moves someafter the screws are out, but it's hanging up on something. I can'tsee behind it to tell for sure if it's just glued in there orsomething. Ideas? Also, I'm told that this dash is not stock on a'76 Jeep. Does anyone have a picture of a stock '76 CJ5 dash? Or ofa stock CJ dash that would look the same as my '76 should? Thank you.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

There are some screws under the windshield. You have to fold the windshield down to get at these screws.

Reply to
CRWLR

The rest are under the windshield that won't fold down...

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:46:43 -0400, Mike Romain shared the following:

And so it begins... *grinding teeth together* :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

You need to get that windshield to fold down. Are you sure it's not just the gasket along the bottom sticking?

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG

...and your next post will be how to replace broken windshield frames? ;-)

Reply to
TJim

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:09:31 GMT, "JimG" shared the following:

I got the dash off. *cough cough* The window still won't fold down.

*ahem* The hinges don't look rusted... the gasket isn't sticking... please just trust me on this. I'm going to take plead the 5th from here on out concerning my windshield. Let's just say that the padded dash is out now and the windshield is not going anywhere anytime soon. *cough cough*

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

The 4 1/2" grinder with a cut-off wheel chucked in it is a fearsome tool?

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

The wiring harness for the wiper motor could maybe be hanging up so the windshield won't fold...

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

How does the wiper harness get behind the dash in the late 1970s CJs? I just reinstalled my windshield frame on my new steel CJ-5 tub, got the harness captured under a washer on the second screw over for the cowl rubber, but just can't remember how it gets to the switch. Is there supposed to be a hole in the cowl, or (as my vague memory suggests) does it simply get pinched between the dash and cowl?

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

;-)

There is an oval slot in the top of the cowl that the plug and harness fit through just inboard of the front clamps. You have to lower the windshield to get to it.

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Arugh. Thanks. Any chance you could give me a couple of locating measurements so I can cut the currently non-existing hole in it's rightful place? Right n" from the side of the cowl, n" in from the dash? It is one of the holes not made in my Replitub.

On the other hand the tub, grill, roll bar and windshield is on and bolted down, the seats are in, the wiring is half done, the vacuum plumbing is complete, and the new windshield glass was installed yesterday. Getting close. I think I'll order a Sailcloth replace-a-top today.

Which brings me to my next problem: Anyone know of a source for a drilling giude for the OEM top hardware? I've no holes or locations for the top bow bracket, the door frame holes or all the snap locations.

Should be fun....

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

From the outside of the tub under the hinge, it measures 4 1/4" to 5

1/2" and from the dash side of the tub 1" to 1 3/4"

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain