Howling/thumping noise while driving 97TJ

Hey folks, can anyone tell me what the problem might be? It's a '97 TJ,

4.0, Auto, no lift, 31" tires, no driveline mods. When i'm on the gas, at just about any speed, it howls. When I let off the gas, it thumps. If I feather the gas so that it's just at a sweet spot where it's not accelerating or using the engine to brake it it completely quiet. It also just before this started would make a banging sound when just starting or stopping, like something was hitting the floorpan hard. I'm guessing either one or more universals, or possibly something in the pumpkin. I'm leaning more towards the pumpkin after writing all this and thinking about it along the way.

Anyone have an experience like this that can help me out? If I have to replace anything stock, what would be a better aftermarket upgrade choice as well? IE, if it's a ring gear maybe a locker would be easy to do at the same time. Stuff like that.

Thanks,

Shawn

Reply to
Endo

Bad U-joint or tranny mount is my guess.

Mike

Endo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well you called it. It let loose on me this morning on the way to work. Was just driving along at about 35Mph when it just sort of let go and started making nasty grinding sounds. Ended up limping the rest of the way in 4WD. This is going to be real fun to deal with now. I'm about to go down to the garage and pull the diff cover and see how bad it looks. I guess i'll go from there once I know for sure whats actually broke.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo