I just bought a Deutz

I just bought a Deutz four cylinder engine. It was on a Morbark type machine and some illegal immigrant c********r ran it out of oil. I figure the crank will need turning and the cam and lifters will be gone but the cylinders probably in good shape. For $150 how wrong could I go?

Now all I need is the jeep to put it in. I'm thinking a buggy sprung YJ with a bad four cylinder engine and trans would be the best host. I can sell the Jeep 4 at least as core. sledgehammer the POS Peugeot transmission, but would I be able to use a 700R4 without repositioning the T-case?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Cylinders need oil too. For $150, heck the starter is probably worth that. I will be interested to see how it turns out, after the propane conversion, the ducted cabin heat, and the electric baseboard you plan to install.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

No propane, no ducted cabin heat, and no electric baseboard (??). My goal is just to get the damned thing going. We'll worry about all non-essentials after that.

I just ordered a manual and a cylinder base wrench. I have now more than doubled my investment... Should be interesting.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You stated that electric heat could be used for the cabin heat, which is not non-essential. I would like to see the look on your face, when you realize that you can't physically fit enough electric heaters in the cabin, to heat it satisfactorily, let alone powering them. Maybe you will be able to defrost the windshield with this method, but I doubt it. "Cylinder base wrench". Now that is something you don't often see in the typical Jeep workshop! There is plenty of space under the hood with the four cylinder engine installed. I think that there will be more than enough to fit a

700R4. Have you thought about other "non-essentials" like a power brake booster? Maybe you can fit a venturi vacuum pump into the exhaust...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I know I've seen you talking about diesel swaps before. What are the vital stats on the Deutz HP and Torque? what transmission are you planning on?

Reply to
Simon Juncal

My new engine is a Deutz four cylinder FL 912 that in vehicle trim puts out around 100 hp. Weight is heavy-it weighs at least as much as a SBC when stripped down to vehicle configuration. I bought it as kind of a wild hair thing.

Vehicle heat will have to come from a fuel-fired heater if a lot is wanted. An oil radiator can be used to replace the vehicle heater core and electric heat is possible, but to get enough heat for satisfactory use you need 3 to 5 KW in really cold climates, which means a road coach alternator. Breadvans with Deutzes use either a South Wind heater or both the oil core and electric heat.

Brake boost is no problem-you either fit the power-steering-pump booster or a vacuum pump. There is a Cadillac part that's about $80 all the street rodders and IH Scout Diesel owners with dead alternator vac pumps use.

Originally I wanted a good 5 or 6 spewed manual but now I am thinking a 700R4 auto is going to be the simple and cheap way to go. I haven't got the host vehicle yet-a TJ is a better Jeep than a YJ but I can get a YJ really cheap. One thing is certain, the Peugeot wouldn't last five minutes.

It should be fun. The big question is, did a bearing spin and if so, will I be able to get my block linebored satisfactorily? I'm waiting to get the book before tearing in blindly.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Bret,

I think the big question, is the price of a set of pistons and cylinders or liners. The cylinders are going to miss oil, long before the crank will. You are wasting your time even thinking about an oil radiator. All it will do, is cool your oil below the point where water evaporates. Then your sump is going to be an acid sludge generating facility. You are finally beginning to see the light on the electric heat issue. A bread van has to have a lot more than 100 hp. Don't think that you can willy nilly adapt all bread van technology to the Jeep.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Let me get them off and look at them first! The jugs can be honed and oversize pistons fitted but let's see what we have first. You cannot get them off without the wrench and that's on its way.

I have a catalog of Deutz OEM and aftermarket parts on its way too. The guy I ordered the books and wrench from said figure on a thousand bucks if the crank is turnable and the block not tore up, and if you're lucky the cylinders will hone out.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig