I need your help/opinion guys

OK, I found a possible prospect for a Jeep that is at least in the same state as I am, although it is still quite a ways away. Here is the auction link for it:

Can you guys give me an opinion on this one. It seems to be about what I am looking for. I just don't really know what it is worth and what things I should look for, other than the usual mechanical stuff. I was kind of hoping for a 4.0 fuel injected version, but I think this will suit me OK.

Opinions or comments?

Thanks Chris

Unless the original engine has been swapped out, that year Wrangler didn't come with the 4.0L engine that is described as being present in that ad. The 4.0L is fuel injected but didn't make its way into the Wrangler until

1991. The engine that cam in '87 Wranglers was a carbureted 4.2L engine that isn't nearly as desireable as what came in 91 and newer Wranglers. I'd double check whether that engine is fuel-injected as the 4.0L engine is, or if it carbureted which means it's the factory 4.2L engine that doesn't produce as much power and is more troublesome.

Jerry

Jerry Bransford

Just a quick glance, I think it's over priced. First you're looking at the later years of the engine. Add to that the tranny is having problems and it's not fuel injected meaning you're going to have to deal with carb problems.

I just did a quick search on Autotrader.com and found this. I think if you look in Autotrader you can find some good deals.

1995 JEEP WRANGLER, 6 cylinder, 5 speed, 123,000 miles, excellent condition, extra sparks, CB, new clutch/ breaks, $3500 248-495-6554 Waterford

Bill

William Oliveri

L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Jerry,

I didn't see him say that this has the 4.0 when I first read it. I knew about the 1991 changeover to the new engine. This kind of tells me that he might not be on the up and up. I just looked at his feedback too, he's got more negatives in 14 transactions than I have in well over 300. I used the link Bill gave (thanks) for AutoCheck and the thing has 14 records there. I would assume that is not good. I guess I'll keep looking. I'm a patient person, most of the time.

Chris

Thanks Bill,

I hadn't looked on Auto Trader in a while, but I see a few there worth looking into. The Ebay auction is just asking for troubles too because the guy says in the auction there is a $3500 reserve, but he didn't list it that way, which means if someone gets that one real cheap he'll probably back out of the deal. I'm also headed for the big city here in a week or two, so I will take some time and have a look at what's available there.

Chris

&car_year=1995&make=JEEP&distance=75&max_price=5000&model=WRANGLER&end_year=
2004&advcd_on=n&min_price=0&address=48901&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_

egory=6285

C, I'd advise against any '87 YJ. It had the notorious, trouble-prone Peugeot trans and a weak transfer case that was replace the next year. Best years for YJs are 91-95.

Jerry McGeorge

Thanks for the reply Jerry. I am in sort of a unique situation here because I originally intended on buying a YJ without regards to the engine type with the intentions of transplanting a small block Chevy engine. This is still an option for me if the right Jeep comes along. They have just been hard to find here. No one is selling them, and I do live in a pretty lightly populated area, so I will more than likely be traveling to buy my Jeep. With this in mind, I will buy one with the not so desirable transmission provided it is a real good deal. However, if I get one with the 4.0 and the right goodies, then I can sell the engine and trans I have sitting here that was intended for the transplant. Since it has been so hard to find anything decent here locally, I have rethought my plans a bit to broaden the vehicles I would be interested in. I have not ruled out CJ's either, but every one I have found here has been a major basket case requiring tons of work. The last problem is that no one sells their 4x4s around here this time of year, so it makes the search a bit more difficult. Like the guys in this NG have said, you'll know it's the right Jeep when you see it.

Chris

Sorry, Chris, I missed that point. Yes, an '87 would be fine if you plan to toss the powertrain.

Jerry McGeorge

Also to watch, if you get the 2.5 L engine it will have the AX 5 trans not the better AX 15, AX 5 may not hold up behind your Chevy.

Greg

How close are you to Grand Junction, CO? There is a late seventies CJ5 with a 304 that has been sitting in front of a jewelry store on North Avenue with a "For Sale" sign in the window for some time now. The price is "$3,500 or BO." It looks decent but not "beautiful" and it does not have "the very rare 6 cylinder automatic." It is a very ugly shade of orange, but it has nice wheels. I walk by it every day so I could look it over and get you the phone number if you want. Vehicles in this part of the country tend to have little rust, even in that vintage, but you have to watch out for imports from the rust belt.

Earle

Earle Horton

Yep, thought of that too. If I do the Chevy swap I'll be using the GM trans and a Novak adapter as well.

Thanks Chris

Thanks for the offer Earle, but I am located in the UP of Michigan, right on the Wisconsin border. We have a Jeep dealer in town, and they have exactly ONE Wrangler on their lot. It is a used 1997 and they want $18K for it which is ridiculous. I don't care for the dealer anyway so I doubt I'd ever buy from them again after being shafted once. I did get a line on a CJ that I have to set up an appointment to look at. It's a friend of a friend who started restoring and lost interest, so I have to check it out and see how much work is left and how desperate he is to sell. It's a possibility anyway.

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

Nice Sporty. What? Was this pic about 30 years ago? I used to be kinda partial to those springer front ends back in those days.

-- Old Crow 24 hours in a day... '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' 24 beers in a case... '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande Co-incidence? I think not. ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

That was actually a rather popular color in '73. Porsche, VW and a few others had that in their lineup. Two years ago I found one that color, a totally original '74 Levis edition V8 w/85k miles on the clock. The dealer wanted $6k, I offered 5 because it needed an exhaust and some body repair. The guy comes back only reducing the price $100, so I go "ok, let me think on it." Next day I go to by it and it's GONE! I still see it chugging around town, still not repaired....maybe if I offered $3,500?

Reply to
Jerry McGeorge

Reply to
twaldron