ignition lock light stays on - help!

1995 Cherokee Jeep..Has been lying unused for about 8 or nine months.. and now. .. the ignition light (it's like an illuminated ring around the ignition keyhole) stays on all the time, even when the key is removed, eventually flattening the battery.. This sounds like a stuck relay - but can anyone point me to the appropriate relay? If not - can anyone advise where to start looking for the cause?

Thanks!

Nichollette in Ireland

Reply to
stokesy

come ON GUYS...!!! Someone out there MUST know about this... it's a real small thing...!!

Reply to
stokesy

well in the old days before the trolls took over youd hvae gotten an answer in a jiffy but then the trolls took over and a lot of the group threw bill hughes under the bus and sided with the trolls

its getting better now since the trolls have been beaten soundly but theres still a ways to go

"stokesy" wrote:

Reply to
Jeep America #1

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Your plug fell out years ago cooyon. How come your light didn't go out? And how come your sockpuppet never gives any advice. Can't can it, because it would ID it as you. What a loser

Will

Reply to
Williams Nemesis

Looks like no one here knows, you might try a different forum. Maybe

K.

Reply to
Kate

This group isn't what it used to be.

Can't find the wiring diagram for your year. :(

My thoughts are stuck relay. You could take the lamp out. (not a great solution)

Are any of the inside lights staying on? That could be a bad door switch.

Reply to
DougW

Hmmm....this is a good one. Doug has a good point with the door switch. Forgive me if I get this wrong, as I am going strictly by memory, which aint so reliable anymore. Try pulling out the I.O.D. (ignition off draw) fuse and see if the light goes out. If it does, then it is tied to the interior lighting circuit. If the light stays on, then I would bet that the light is shorted to power or ground,(depending how it is wired) maybe inside the ignition switch. I am assuming that on this jeep, the ignition switch is mounted behind the keylock cylinder on the steering column (hidden by the upper and lower plastic clam shell covers below the steering wheel), not down on the lower part of the steering column like the old CJs and pick ups. Have you taken the plastic clam shell covers off of the upper steering column? You might need a long shanked #20 torx "nut driver style" to get the screws out. Ignition switch-key lock cylinder combo is normally held on by tamper proof torx screws. The ignition switch has a flat (9 pin or so) electrical connecter that gets it power from the PDC (power dist. center). Unplug this and see if the light goes out (it should) and check for shorted/melted pins/wires/plastic in the connector. Some Chrysler products had a problem with that connector. Good luck Glen

Reply to
Glenn news