Ignition Module

I have an 88 Yj (4.2L) that I suspect has a bad ignition Module. Ive replaced every other damn thing that could possibly be the problem. (Wont start, erratic spark at the coil). Anyway, my question for the pros in the group is this: The ignition module for an 87 wrangler is $36.00 and a replacement for the 88 is $180. I bypassed my dead computer years ago. Reset the timing, adjusted the carb and its ran pretty good ever since. Can one simply use the 87 ignition module in lue of the 88? and if so, is there a wiring diagram somewhere online that could help me out? (the plugs are different etc.) Thanks in advance.

-Chris.

Reply to
Reh

I don't know but I kind of doubt it if the plugs are different.

What you might do is replace the guts of the distributor with a Pertronix kit, they work great and cost about $100.

I have an 88 Yj (4.2L) that I suspect has a bad ignition Module. Ive

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I looked at the ignition module, and with the exception of the different plug types, all of the wiring matched up. I cut the plugs and spliced the wires. Low and behold, spark. runs great. So, to recap. If you have a YJ made after 87 and have a dead or bypassed computer, replace the unit with the older model and save yourself $140.00. Just remember to run new wires directly to the distributer (orange and purple) if it hasnt been done already. Thanks to all, without the internet the old goat would still be dead in the driveway. Cheers,

-Chris.

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Reh

Cool, thanks for the info!

Jeff DeWitt

Reh wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

You can swap the plug with the CJ7 one too. Just beware of 'Wells' units. Have seen and heard of far too many dead new out of the box.

Mike

Mike Romain