Ignition woes

I need help with my 83 CJ7 w/258

I get no spark when cranking the engine over. However, when releasing the key from the start position, I get a short burst of spark from the coil. I just reinstalled the wiring harness and checked everything over against my Haynes manual and all is connected correctly.

Reply to
Ted

Nope, it isn't all hooked up.

You are missing the wire from the starter solenoid on the fender to the coil positive.

Mike

Ted wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

you wouldn't happen to have a picture you could send me, do you? Cuz, from everything I can compare against my manual, It is all hooked up correctly. I bet I went over the wiring a dozen times.

Reply to
Ted

what side of the solenoid should this be hooked to?

Reply to
Ted

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I rewired my 86 using the Haynes manual when I did a frame up and 'glass body build...

It all worked first crack of the key.

Solenoids are strange.....

The one that came in mine when I bought the Jeep didn't have power to the second post when the key was in start, it had power all the time.

Someone had cut the second wire that goes to the coil at the solenoid and hooked it to the first wire from the key.

I left it that way because it was soldered in there nice.

If the solenoid is right for the ignition, it will have continuity between the two pins with no power applied. If no 'beep' on the ohm meter, wrong solenoid.

You need to make sure the wire at the solenoid has a tag with the ohm meter to the coil too. Could be a break at the crimp fitting where the resistor wire hooks into the coil wire.

The resistor wire that powers the coil when the key is in 'run' has a crimp connector inside the harness that tags the solenoid wire close to the coil.

Mike

Ted wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike and Bill.

I isolated it down to broken wire next to a splice that was done for the TR ignition upgrade. After I repaired that, it fired right up. here's a pic of my 83 cj7.

Ted

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)