In Mirror Compass

This is maybe a stupid question, if so, IM SORRY!

would it be possible to pull the guts out of a vehicle that has a in mirror compass and move it to another vehicle? How do they work?? I saw the one on quadratec, wondering if there is a "budget" option?

thanks

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

I would guess that the in-mirror compass is a different size mirror than the non-compass mirror. It seems that the best strategy would be to get the compass type mirror from a junk yard or on eBay, then figure out how to get power to it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

is the technology IN the mirror though? or somplace else?

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Given that the factory doesn't want to build stuff all kinds of different ways, my guess is that the compass is built into the mirror, and all the factory guys have to do is run a wire that is probably on every car of the model that can have the compass. All the factory guy has to do is plug the mirror in, there is nothing in the car itself. This is just an educated guess ...

My theory is that the compass and all of its circuitry lives inside the mirror, and the mirror has a power lead that goes into the headliner in the vicinity of where the mirror is mounted. My supposition is that the vehicles that have the compass also have map lights and other electric stuff that is mounted on a panel at the top of the windshield. If there is no panel with map lights, then you won't have a ready source of electricity to operate the compass and its display. Instead of map lights and such, there could be an electrical supply if you have a sun roof.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I think it would make for a cool addition to my crappy YJ

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

I think that if you have the skill set to make it work in youir "crappy XJ," then you don't need any help from us, and if you need help then maybe you haven't got the skills needed.

I would begin by finding a mirror that has the compass built in, then go from there.

You will need power in the headliner to plug the compass in to. If there is no power today, then you will need to run a wire. If you need to run a wire, then you need to get to the A-pillar (windshield frame) and route a wire up the inside. If you are going to do this, you will need to pull the headliner back so you can get to the wire.

TIP, there is probably already a wire in the driver side A-pillar to operate the dome light.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I may not have the skill but I have the desire

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Pi-eyed Piper did pass the time by typing:

The only stupid question is the one unasked.

Generally, yes. The majority of compass mirrors are all internal, as are the autodimming ones. Not that there aren't some high-end goobers like BMW that use computer tie-in and other weirdness but your odds of grafting one in are very good. (providing you get the schematic for power/ground/etc.)

Just remember, the boneyards know how expensive the part is. And the el-cheapo rice-burner versions do, in fact, live up to the price.

My suggestion is hit up a few dealerships where you have seen the type of mirror you like on floor models, then visit the parts counter for price. Some places will even let you jot notes from the service book. Once you find one that meets your expectations then it's off to the boneyard or possibly ebay.

That or you could get one of these. ;)

DougW

I would want the outside temperature, too ! ! ! Why stop with just a compass in the mirror? Tom T

Reply to
Tom T

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hey! he said crappy YJ not XJ (or CJ lol) KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

And GPS with routing next to a TFT LCD display for watching DVD's KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

hehe....alright...here ya go then!

is a link to a PDF of an article on a guy interfacing to a GPS and using a microcontroller to 'massage' the data and put it up on a large display for the driver to view.Somewhat cheesy...but it's all hobbyist stuff.
is a link to a device that you could then use the microcontroller to send the 'displayed' text to.It's a video overlay module which would recieve the text input from your microcontroller and would then overlay it on to your DVD screen (RCA inputs) or TV's.

I'm by no means affiliated with either company....I'm just a user! lol

The Microcontroller is cool. I'm in the middle of working on an OBD2 interface to it, so that I can view the 'live' data and trouble codes. But I'm waiting for hte warmer weather for I go sitting outside.

Reply to
SteveBrady

And what good would that be without an altimeter to round out the x,y, and z coordinates?

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Oh, well! That changes everything.

The YJ will be easy. Find a hot source and splice in a wire, fold the windshield down and drill a hole in the tub and the windshield frame that line up, put a grommet in each and route the wire into the windshield frame. Make a small hole at the top of the windshield frame and pull the wire out. (You might want to run two wires, one that is hot and another for ground - I am not sure how well the windshield frame is grounded through the hinge with its lubrication and/or rust.)

Feed this wire to the new mirror that has the compass function.

PS, Or CJ ... I resemble that remark.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It's a YJ, Tom. The temp inside and the temp outside is probably going to be the same if the top is off. Since Real Jeeps always have the top off ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland