Info for Security Chains tire chains ?

Is anyone here familiar with sizing of tire chains from Security Chain Company ?

I bought chains for my Jeep, and they are way too big, and I am having a problem with the company to get proper sizing info, and would like to know if anyone here is familiar with these chains.

Thank you !!

James

Reply to
James

Have you tried using a chain tensioner? (for those that do not know: a chain tensioner is a ring of stretchy rubber with hooks that you use to pull the chains snug against the tire from the outside) Chains normally have some slack and the tensioner can make a big difference ... could even save a fender or two in some cases.

Also, make sure the chains are hooked as tight as possible ... sometimes you can drive a few feet and snug them up a couple more links.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

I don't have a clue where you live, but I STRONGLY urge you to do some research on tire chains and their use before you get too ambitious - chains have a bad habit of getting you further into trouble before you get stuck anyway.

Size-wise, there are two starting measurements: do the side chains reach at least halfway up the sidewall on both sides of the tire and can you hook the ends of both side chains around the tire at the same time? If yes, they fit. You may want to cut the length so that you don't have too much loose chain on the ends once hooked and you may have to remove a cross-link (or two) to get the length right so that the tightened chain doesn't have any cross links past the hooks to flop around but if you can mount the suckers and hook them up to meet the above length/width description you should be in the ball park.

I suggest you find a warm, dry spot (garage?) and jack up the rear end to install the chains for the first time so that you can comfortably get them fitted. I always cut mine to have at least 3 links hanging loose after I hook them up and I prefer leaving 4 or 5 links loose - more to bang around but a lot easier to work with when you're knee deep in snow trying to get them on. I carry a small roll of bailing wire to tie the loose ends down once the chains are on and tight.

You also don't say what Jeep you have. Be careful of the fender clearance, especially on the XJ styles and don't chain up the front end unless you know exactly what you are doing - too easy to knock the brake lines in a turn.

Reply to
Will Honea