Injector Cleaning

My '93 JGC V-8 is starting to stumble around a bit. The dealer and a friend in the business said my injectors need cleaning. Things like plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc. have been taken care of. What is a good injector cleaner? One that was highly recommended was BG 44K Power Enhancer.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Most of the stuff you find on a shelf isn't that good. Techron is probably the best. Look for one that says for use only every 10,000 miles.

Personally, I'd be cleaning the throttle body's idle air passage as that is the #1 cause of stumble. Crap builds up in there and under the throttle plate, venturi, and by the pintle.

That's a 4.0, but similar to yours. That and a new fuel filter.

If you really want your engine cleaned of carbon there is only one way to do it properly, and that's having someone that owns a motorvac unit do the job. Should run about $100 or so.

Watch the dealer as all some do is hook up a pressurized can into the rail. While it does work, it isn't as thorough and usually about as expensive and not much more than the gas tank additive. Actually if you use a good grade of fuel with detergent (most have this) then you probably don't have much in the injectors.

Another option (and more work) is to remove the injectors and take them to a local diesel shop where they can clean them and test them for proper spray pattern and action. If you do this always use new O rings and keep track of the clips.

Reply to
DougW

Run a couple of tanks of a major gasoline through it. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Hi Dick,

I would start with the stuff you can do/try yourself. DougW's suggestion for *thoroughly* cleaning your throttle body would be a start.... in fact if you can remove it from the manifold with out much fuss that's what I'd do....you'll be able to work on it better and there will be less chance of flooding/hydro-locking a cylinder with excess cleaner. If you do clean it on the manifold, then make sure the engine is warm so any extra cleaner will evaporate quickly. Get a can of throttle body/throttle plate intake cleaner....this is not carb cleaner....CRI makes some good stuff (comes in a red spray can). Intake cleaner is much stronger and will completely dissolve the crud build up on the throttle plate, the interior of the throttle body and all the bypass passages. Use a toothbrush to work the cleaner....when your done you want the inside of your TB to shine and all passages to be completely clean.

Agree with Doug about the pour-in-the-tank cleaners; overall not too effective at "deep cleaning" dirty injectors and the best stuff out there is the Chevron Techron (it runs about $7-$9 a bottle). A little strategy with it: use 2 bottles in a 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas. Another "pour it in" elixir to try is SeaFoam. I've tried this stuff (and the Techron) in my cars and it has helped in some cases and in others not so much. You *MUST* be outside when you do this. Start with a warm engine. Disconnect the power brake vacuum hose at the booster unit. Start the engine....it'll run...it won't be happy but it will run. Using about 1/3 to 1/2 the can of SeaFoam *slowly* pour it into the end of the brake booster vacuum hose (you probably will need a small funnel to do this)....heed the engine...if it sounds like it's about to quit ease up a bit on your pour but don't stop pouring. Once you get down to the last 1-2 ounces, then increase the pour rate until you dump the last of the liquid into the hose. The engine will not sound good as it sputters and possibly spark knocks a bit....shut the engine off....it will do some run-on and finally quit. Wait 10 minutes. Reconnect the vacuum booster hose and pour any remaining SeaFoam into the gas tank. Now comes the fun part.....and the reason you have to do this outside....start the engine....at this point enormous amounts of white smoke will eminate from the tailpipe....this is supposed to happen. Take a drive until the smoke dissipates.....evaluate your results. Here's the SeaFoam website:

Other things I would check are vacuum line connections/hoses....they do deteriorate and they will cause an air leak creating a momentary lean condition stumble (that the computer will accomodate for).

If you still have the stumble then at least you've given it your best shot. In this case I think I would take it to the dealer for the treatment....unless you have a local shop you know will do the job thoroughly and correctly for your time and money.

Good luck....

Mike

00XJ
Reply to
Mike

Thanks Mike. Looks like I have some work to do. :-)

Dick

Reply to
Dick