Is it possible to lower a Wragler ?

noydb did pass the time by typing:

makes popcorn

Generally folks here are into lifting, not lowering.

Reply to
DougW

Has anyone ever seen this done ?

I'd like to drastically lower one and possibly widen the track a few inches as well. It would handle like a slot car. Ideally, I'd like to make the suspension adjustable, so if the need ever arose, the thing could be raised to its normal level.

I think this would make a cool show car.

I'd appreciate any comments regarding the feasibility of this project.

Thanks, --N

Reply to
noydb

Please, no.

I suppose if it was leaf sprung (YJ) you could just make it a 1-leaf suspension (use just the main leaf, remove the other stock leaves) and that would drop it quite a bit. Maybe you could flip the main over, too.. to arc it the 'wrong' way.

If it were a coil sprung (TJ) you could just cut the coils and buy custom shocks.

Either way, there will be a lot of clearance issues. Adjustable might need to be some kind of hydraulic system.

But again, please, no.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Is Mandy's Libby lowered or is it supposed to be that way? From the factory I mean....

Reply to
billy ray

Anything less than 4" lift must be concidered lower. And when you slam it down the 33's may rub a little. HA

Reply to
Rusted

My head hurts.

Reply to
Carl

I am going to risk injecting a serious note into this thread. Most of what you want to accomplish can be done with a change of wheels and tires, or simply a change of tires. I saw a picture of a "lowered looking" Wrangler once, that merely had low profile tires on stock rims. Be aware though, that any change in ride height involves a change in steering geometry. This is true, even if all you change are the tires and wheels. Do not expect to change ride height, without some possibly serious changes in vehicle response, to your attempts to point it in various directions.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks for the link. That's close to what I was looking for. (and I've been searching around in vain for a long time...)

But my God, are they ugly. Oh well, on to the next idea.

Reply to
noydb

I'm really interested in improving high speed stability more than anything else. But after looking at the various pics of lowered Wranglers, and considering the ground clearance issues and potential steering geometry problems, it appears this idea just isn't worth the potential grief.

Thanks for the input.

-N

Reply to
noydb

Not much you can do for high speed. The short wheelbase and aerodynamics of a brick just plain gets 'twitchy' over 75 mph or so. Run at 80+ mph and you will leave finger dents in the steering wheel....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05
Mike Romain

What's a "Wragler"????

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

noydb did pass the time by typing:

If your after stability then go with a thicker anti roll bar front and rear. Combine that with shocks like the Rancho 9000 (adjustable) so you can crank up the stiffness. IF your worried about offroad and that thicker bar then get quick disconnects for the _front only_. Disconnecting both front and rear gives seriously bizarre handling. :)

As for tires, if your not planning on offroading on anything other than gravel then look at the Pirelli scorpions, they are a 6ply side wall that even in P215-75r15 provide some serious improvement in road feel and stability. They will let you know which side of the penny you ran over.

Or go +1 or +2 with the rims and shrink the wheels by one size, say going from 225 to 215.

Reply to
DougW
*urp*

Oh god... I think I am gonna throw up.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

: > I'm really interested in improving high speed stability more than : > anything else. But after looking at the various pics of lowered : > Wranglers, and considering the ground clearance issues and potential : > steering geometry problems, it appears this idea just isn't worth the : > potential grief. : >

: > Thanks for the input. : > -N

You are without a doubt, the FIRST person I have EVER seen come on to usenet, with what is essentially a bad idea, ask for advice, and then LISTEN to it once it is given.

My hat is off to you.

: Mike wrote: Not much you can do for high speed. The short wheelbase and : aerodynamics of a brick just plain gets 'twitchy' over 75 mph or so. : Run at 80+ mph and you will leave finger dents in the steering wheel.... :

Even my Libby does that, I hit 85 the other day, I SWEAR it started floating off the ground. Ilke the wheels were barely touching. I was looking for a button to retract the landing gear so I could take off and set a flight plan. It's really too bad, because I am not patient with "slow".

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

"Frank_v7.0" wrote : What's a "Wragler"???? : Kind of a scraggly waggle?

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Heh, a jeep is often the single best way to stop getting speeding tickets. I know mine certainly stopped.

Reply to
wkearney99

Jeep with shredded back window?

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

There was one in town here, looked pretty kewl. He'd chopped and channeled it, hardtop and all, and had wide tires on it. The guy also had several street rods.

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

So is this wrangler yours?