Is it too late for Bigger tires?

Hello fellow Jeep people. I have been lurking here for a few months now, and have had a few questions answered without having to post a question. I do, however, have a few more. I'll start with this one. I recently acquired an '89' Wrangler Islander with the 258 in it. It is pushing

100k, and I drive it close to 70 miles a day. Is it too late to add some tires bigger than stock to it? I am aware that bigger tires will add more drag on the motor, but just not sure how much. I will need tires that are not 'rock/hill/snow' shy. I will be adventuring in Southeast Ohio exploring some old logging roads.

Dan

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

It's never too late.

Go with something along the lines of the BFG All Terrain tires. They are fairly forgiving on road and do well off road.

Reply to
Kevin S.

I have a 78 CJ-7 with the original 258. Don't know the mileage, but I'm sure it's high. It's got 7" of lift and 35x12.50 procomp mud terrains.

Reply to
brids5

Odds are very good that you have the 3.07 axle ratio. You will really feel the lack of power on the freeway if you upgrade. I have that ratio with 31" MT tires. 5th gear is useless. (1650rpm at 70 mph!) But with your daily mileage, you should be ok.

Daniel Paisley wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Odds are very good that you have the 3.07 axle ratio. You will really feel the lack of power on the freeway if you upgrade. I have that ratio with 31" MT tires. 5th gear is useless. (1650rpm at 70 mph!) But with your daily mileage, you should be ok.

------------------------------------------------------ How does one find the axle ratio? Hell, how does one find what kind of rears, tranny he/she has in his/her Jeep? Soon I won't be driving quite as far (thank goodness) everyday. If I ever hit 70 mph and wasn't able to be in 5th with this thing, I would be sure that I was ready to tear something up! Dan P.S.- Can somebody tell me how can I find this group via computer?

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

This newsgroup is available on Google Groups at:

Tom

Reply to
mabar