Is my battery really bad

I stopped at a Jiffy Lube to have oil changed on my 2000 Grand Cherokee V-8. They did a battery test, said the battery appeared to be 2.5 years old and was probably a 3 year warranty. Said it was supposed to put out (CCA I think) 820, and it was only putting out

760. According to the book they said the battery was bad and needed to be replaced.

You think they were just trying to sell a battery, or do you think I really need one?

Reply to
Chris Lamb

So you are on the second battery since 2000? Wow....

Did they do a proper deep charge on the battery before load testing it? That is the 'only' way a load test is valid for things like full capacity.

You can load test a battery checking for a dead cell without it being fully charged up, but otherwise the test is only there to snowjob suckers.

Mike

Mike Romain

Sounds about normal for a 2-1/2 year old battery. Do you need a new battery? Maybe. Can you get along for a while? Probably. Would I change it out? No.

On a 2000 you either have 6 years on the OEM battery (Wow!) or are getting only 3 years on some fairly cheap batteries. (Not the greatest)

My phils> I stopped at a Jiffy Lube to have oil changed on my 2000 Grand

Reply to
RoyJ

I got 11 years out of the original battery in my YJ. 760 out of 820 CCA is

93% of new capacity. Are you having problems with the battery? If not, save your money and buy a set of jumper cables, "just in case".

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I always go to the Exide warehouse and get me a very fresh group 24/84

1100 Ah battery when I need one. Any auto parts store will be glad to check your battery for you.

Jiffy Lube will tell you that you need a new air filter even if you just put it in right before you go there. They tried to pull that on my mom once. She called me on the cellphone once while she was there and I stopped by and reamed the manager a new one! It was FUN! Got her a free oil change. I also told him that I will be checking for the proper filter and torque on the drainplug and the correct amount of oil. They won't try anything with her anymore. She gets good service now.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Especially as the OEM new battery spec is 650 CCA.

Reply to
billy ray