is there suppose to be a hood seal on a cj7?

No hood seal on the OEM body. There is an offset that drops below the front grill.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

yesterday I was driving my 86 cj7 with a fiberglass body around in the snow and I checked the motor and it was all wet like someone sprayed it with a hose and there was snow in the front of the Weber carb air cleaner. did someone leave out a hood seal when they installed my fiberglass body? thanks carmine

Reply to
Jet

Nope, no weatherstripping around the hood. Some CJs had extra splash panels (roughly 8"x8") to bridge the gap between the trailing edge of the inner fender and the bottom of the firewall, but I've no idea if these were optional or model-year dependent.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

No seals on mine, but I have the 'glass one piece front clip.

If you have any kind of lift on it, the axles get down into the air flow and snow will blow up into the engine.

I had my carb actually freeze up a couple weeks ago on a 250 km drive in white out conditions. I was running for an extended time (2 or 3 hours) in 3rd gear at 2000 rpm and the sucker froze at 2000 rpm. I had to pull off the road and let it sit for a while running to melt the ice/snow buildup around the carb linkage.

Mike

Jet wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

My `79 CJ-5 (2 bbl I-258) used to do that occasionally while highway driving. If I hadn't varied the throttle for more than a couple of minutes, under just the right weather conditions, the throttle (or, perhaps, the cable) would ice up and lock it at speed. Stomping on the pedal was the only way to free it up.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I have gotten away with the stomp a few times, but not on that one. It 'would' go higher, it just wouldn't drop.

I needed to knock the ice off my wipers and off the bottom half of my headlights too so it was a good time to take a short break. It thawed pretty quick.

I have had other vehicles do strange things in snowstorms too. One Mazda up and bogged out on the highway so I looked and looked and finally opened the distributor cap only to find it packed full of snow. LOL! That was in -30C or so.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to