Jeep 4-tire rotation

I have a first rotation coming up on my new tires. I was told when doing a 4-tire rotation that the rear two go straight forward and the two front go to opposite rear. So far no uneven wear or cupping. I'll have them rebalanced also. Is this procedure correct?

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

That's the 4 wheel rotation that I use. If you have a full sized spare on a 4wd vehicle, it's best to include the spare in the rotation. Right rear goes to the spare, spare goes to the left front.

Prepare to hear a discussi> I have a first rotation coming up on my new tires. I was told when doing

Reply to
RoyJ

I strongly advise you read your owners manual to find out.

Both of my Jeeps call for a front to back rotation with no crossing. I wear my tires out perfectly even.

If doing a 5 tire rotation, the spare goes on the main drive tire, the right rear, with the RR going to the right front and that tire going to the spare.

Mike

Mike Romain

Duh! RTFM! LOL! Page 196 of my owners manual. Thanks guys. That's what Jeep says for my '04 TJ.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

That is the same rotation listed in the WJ manual.

Please note that some tires are directional and must always stay on the same side of the vehicle. These tires have arrows that denote the required direction of rotation.

Finally be sure that you torque the dry lugs evenly to 85-115 ft-lbs

Reply to
billy ray

This is true, but directional tires on passenger vehicles are getting to be a thing of the past. Even my John Deere riding mower has non-directional turf tires.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My TJ owners manual calls for a 4 tyre rotation.

Rear tyres go to front tyres, no crossing. Front tyres go to rear tyres, with crossing.

Section 22-4 of the FSM if any one is interested.

Dave Milne

Straight from the 2006 Wrangler Factory Service Manual

4-tire rotation:

right rear to right front right front to left rear left rear to left front left front to right rear

In the early days of radial tires there were some problems when using this method, but for the last 20 years or so, this has been one of the accepted methods, and it works great. No problems running modern radial tires on either side of the vehicle, as long as they are rotated regularly. This does not apply to uni-directional tires, which must be kept on the same side of the vehicle.

I personally use this 5-tire rotation pattern, and have used it for years with good results:

spare to right rear right rear to right front right front to left rear left rear to left front left front to spare

A regular 5-tire rotation will give you about 25% more miles out of your tires. There are many good rotation patterns, but the important thing is that you stick with one pattern and rotate every 5 or 6000 miles. If you change your oil every 3000 miles, then it's easy to remember to rotate every other oil change.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yes, this is the second oil change since the tires were mounted and they are non-directional. I like the 4 tire rotation. No reason except it is simple enough for even my dealer to get right. ;-) And I re-torque when I get home. Wasn't it Ronald Reagan that said "Trust, but verify."? :-) Thanks all!

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Yes he did, but he said it in Russian! I love that quote and wish I could say it in Russian like President Reagan.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Wasn't it Ronald Reagan that said "Trust, but verify."?

Reply to
Spdloader

Yep, that's about how much Russian I understand.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Reply to