jeep brakes

I recently bought my first Jeep. A 1986 CJ-7 4 cylinder 4 speed. It does not have power brakes and it takes a LOT of pressure to get much braking. Does anyone know about brake pads and shoes that are higher in friction than standard? The tires are p235/ 75r15 on 7" wheels if that makes any difference.

Reply to
rjh44

Hi

I recently got a '78 CJ-5 Jeeprolet that has similar braking "performance" The 35" tires on it certainly don't help the braking. I'm in the process of switching to power brakes. It's a bit complex, but I'm working it out. I got a power boost/master cylinder from Auto Zone for a later model that appears as if it'll work, but I'm having a bit of a problem finding the bracket that goes between the booster and the firewall. I located one online, but the kind folks selling it want $100.00 for it, which is more than the re- manufactured power boost/master cylinder cost me. There's a bunch of info on the net regarding this upgrade, but I've had trouble finding the parts as cheaply as the websites say. Anyway, check out

for an interesting "how-to" install power brakes, and

for a nifty little adjustable brake rod that is mentioned in an article in the March 2005 issue of "Petersen's 4Wheel&OffRoad" which describes how to change the angle of the brake linkage geometry to gain extra push into the master cylinder. I'm still in the process of collecting the parts to do the upgrade, but I'm fairly certain that it will be worth the trouble and the expense.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit. I've never heard of extra sticky pads.

Doesn't mean that there aren't any.

Claude

Reply to
claudel

Normally the cheapest pads you can buy are the best for grabbing. They have the highest friction and wear out the fastest but only take 15 minutes per wheel to change out.

CJ7's have marginal brakes compared to any car. Compared to trucks like they are, it has decent brakes.

Converting to power will be a 'big' disappointment because the power brakes do 'not' stop you any faster and the difference in pedal power needed is almost unnoticeable.

A friend had an 85 standard brakes with all new brakes including master and I have power with all new including master and in a side to side compare, the standard brakes out stopped me every time.

He did have 31's to my 33's which makes some difference.

Mike

rjh44 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you have been used to power brakes all your life, then manual brakes will take some getting used to. It is impossible to troubleshoot your brakes over the 'net, but if you are convinced there is something wrong, get a test drive at a brake shop and have a second opinion. The brake system does need to be serviced on occasion, and there are several things that can make them ineffective. But, even when they are working perfectly, manual brakes take a lot of pressure as compared to power brakes.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

rjh44 ( snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com) wrote on Monday 14 February 2005 12:32 am:

The first thing I do when buying a car that old is replace every moving or rubber brake component: master cylinder, wheel cylinders, calipers, rotors, etc... About the only thing left is the steel lines (and those I look over). The prices for brake components are relatively cheap on CJs, especially versus -not- being able to stop.

Reply to
Michael White