Jeep Cherokee Electrical or Fuse??

I have a problem. I got in my '93 Jeep Cherokee the other day and the wire going from my stereo to the fuse box was busted in half. Like someone cut it ... maybe they did I dont know. But I twisted it back together but now my stereo and dome light dont come on. I checked the bulb in the dome light. I checked all the fuses in the box, they are fine. ALSO when I turn on my headlights, one light in back of the car (red lights) is brighter than the other. I step on the brake and the other one is brighter than the other, but all bulbs are on and working. WHATS GOING ON?

SC

Reply to
Scot C

Those are symptoms of a dead ground strap and/or connection.

If the ground strap from the top of the engine to the firewall goes bad, the vehicle will try and scavenge a ground. The stereo is one place it will try and take it. Put a heavy load on and small wires fry.

The ground from the battery to the engine block or from the battery to the fender is also suspect. This can let the starter draw through the stereo or anywhere else it can get a ground.

A lower amp power line can act as a ground for a high amp draw circuit.

A bulb in the rear also sounds shorted out. The brake lights ground through the body, the running lights ground through a wiring harness. Lose the body ground, and the brake lights will try and steal a ground through the running lights, this can fuse bulbs internally or blow them open.

Mike

Scot C wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain