Jeep Cherokee Sport ----> Check Engine Light

Page 1 of 2
Cherokee Sport 2001 with 60k
Amber Check Engine light came on this morning.
Question:
1. Any idea what can cause that to come on. Many times the light has gone
on on my 1996 Dodge Dakota with 135k and it's a O2 sensor.
2. Can the vehicle be driven for about 15 miles to the mechanic after the holiday weekend?
Thanking all in advance. Eddy

Eddy,
Turn the ignition one until the odometer lights, turn the key off, turn it on until the odometer lights, turn it off, turn the key on until the odometer lights, turn it off. Turn the key on again and the odometer should be showing the error code.
For example earlier this week mine displayed "p0456" then "done".
You can then check the code number at ; http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm
In my case P0456 was "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (very small leak)" which 97.3% of the time is caused by a bad gas cap.
If you have trouble extracting the codes they can check for you at your local auto parts store, usually at no charge.
Good luck!

"BillyRay" wrote in message:

should
------------------------
Thank you.
I had tried to extract the error code by following your instructions and nothing happened.
It's a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport.
Somebody in another NG had mentioned that that only works in older models.
Please advise if you know if it works in 2001 models.
Many thanks, Eddy

Try it again, you must complete the on, off, on, off, on sequence in less than five seconds, though: http://www.billhughes.com/faultCode.mpg God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
eddy long wrote:

"L.W. (ill) Hughes III" wrote in message:

------------------------
On Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001:
I tried:
On/Off
On/Off
On/Off
On
and it doesn't work. I do not receive any error codes - just the odometer milage.
I waited until the odometer light went on - then truned off - then on, etc... as fast as I could.
Possibly Jeep discountinued this with late models like 2001 Cherokee Sports?
Eddy

Okay Jeepers,
Someone out there has a 2001 Jeep XJ. We need you to try and pull an error code (or lack of one) with the key on-off method to confirm if this model has that capability.

Some say you have to reset the trip odometer first, and the door must be open like resetting your remote controls. God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
eddy long wrote:

"L.W. (ill) Hughes III" wrote in message:

--------------------
Using Jeep Cherokee Sprot 2001.
I opened the driver's side and passenger side doors. Reset odometer to 00000
Then:
ON/OFF ON/OFF ON/OFF
ON
The only thing that reads is the odometer - there are no error codes.
Does anyone out there have a Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001 so that I can find out whether they discontiuned the <<Check Engine>> light to check error codes?
Thanking all, Eddy

Not sure but did you "Off" one to many?
eddy long wrote:

--------------
Tried it again on Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001:
Doors Open Odomoeter reset
Either way:
OFF/ ON / OFF / ON
doesn't work - there is no error code illuminated on dash.
nor does doing it this way...
OFF / ON / OFF / ON / OFF/ ON
Best... Eddy

will only show emissions codes not trans code which might be causing lite to come on
eddy long wrote:

eddy long proclaimed:

Isn't that On Off On Off On within 5 seconds?

Eddie,
I am under the impression that this techniqu should work In any case you should be able to get the codes read at your local auto parts store with an ODB II scanner My 2000 Cherokee never threw any codes so I never had to try. My 2002 WJ's error codes were read in this manner just days ago.
: Retrieving codes: Turn the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat three times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off, On). At the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If no codes are present then "Done" will appear.

replying to eddy long, Em wrote: Mine also did not work any other suggestions?

Thank you, Billy Ray. I tried that for fun in my 2001 Grand Cherokee and even though I didn't have a light on it still replied back "done." That'll save me $75 from buying one of those readers.

A great site for WJs: http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
me wrote:

Hi Eddy, Pull the codes and find out why? Like if it just a bad Oxygen sensor, then all that happen is your engine will run lean or rich compensating, which is not good for an engine but a couple hundred miles are not going to take that much of it's life. Of course if it's just a leaking gas cap, just say screw the environment: http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm Double check all your fluid levels, like we normally do before starting any trip. God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
eddy long wrote:

i went thruogh my book and it states for 1997 -1991 turn ignition key on, off, on, off and finally on. 1998 and later needs a scan tool i do believe some parts stores like advance auto parts and autozone will have the necessary info you seek. if not i would call the dealership and see what they charge to hook up to computer vs. paying one. mongo
Tried it again on Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001:
Doors Open Odomoeter reset
Either way:
OFF/ ON / OFF / ON
doesn't work - there is no error code illuminated on dash.
nor does doing it this way...
OFF / ON / OFF / ON / OFF/ ON
Best... Eddy

i also read that the the on metod may work(on, off, on, off, on) but you need to wait for the odometer to light up with each on
try www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html
there is other tip like hold the odo reset and turn key to on. it give a lot off different ways to get codes good luck mongo

www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html On newer cars (mid-to-late 1990s, 2000s): a.. You may have to have the parking brake firmly set for the codes to show! (Thanks, Steven Midway) b.. Depending on the year, you may simply want to invest in an OBD compatible code reader. We were unable to retrieve codes from a 2002 Neon, but found it very easy with a 2002 PT Cruiser and a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC. c.. On later models with a digital odometer, the codes are usually displayed on the odometer rather than blinking the check engine light. (This is the case on Peter Galambos' 1997 Dakota, and on the 2001 PT Cruiser - it displays "done" when it is finished, or when there are no codes). d.. Click here for a 2001 computer code list. We also now have the 2001 list in PDF format - we suspect most of the codes are the same in nearby years - click here to get it. (Acrobat Reader required from adobe.com). e.. On many 2001 and newer models, holding in the trip odometer reset button while turning the key to RUN will start a self test, with a readout on the odometer. It will also activate all instrument panels, one at a time. We do not know if this will show computer codes, or whether it only tests the instrument panels. f.. Simultaneously press the trip reset and trip/odometer switches; while holding them, turn the ignition to RUN (not start), and wait about five seconds. This sends the car through a short self-test sequence that lights all segments of the odometer and shift selector read-out (where applicable). It will then display the stored error codes. (Courtesy Theodore M. Farabee of the U.S. Navy) Note: we do not know for certain whether this reports computer codes, or only instrument panel failure codes. g.. J. Peters said that Jeeps made after model year 1997 require an ODB reader - the lamp method doesn't work. [This may have changed] h.. Will R. said his Durango didn't work with the press-odometer method though it did the self-check. He used the on-off-on-off system and it worked on the fourth key cycle (seems to vary by model from three to five cycles). i.. Normally, to get codes, you put the key on OFF and then rapidly do OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON. Mark Warrington was able to use the blinking check engine light and the odometer readout after doing five on/ five off ignition sequences, and if the check engine light was on, on his 4-liter 1996 Grand Cherokee. On our test convertible (2002), the key did not go back to unlock, so it was ACC-ON-ACC-ON-ACC-ON. a.. Jon Yoon: The 98 Caravan does the same check engine light code trick (OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON), but it also does an instrument diagnostic check if you hold the trip and reset buttons and turn the key to the run position and wait 5 seconds. This helped me figure out that my input and output speed sensors were broken but the actual speedometer dial could move thanks to the instrument panel check. j.. For the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and up, you do the switching the key on and off 3 times, but not quickly. You turn it to on so the odometer turns on, turn it off, and then back on, wait for the light to turn on, etc. On the fourth time you'll get a code, or you'll get done. (Monica MacDonald) k.. A loose gas cap may light up the Check Engine light! (Thanks, Lyn Clark) l.. James Hale's 2000 Grand Voyager has the following sequence (which may reflect a test of the instrument panel or body computer rather than the engine codes): 1.. Press the trip and trip-reset buttons that are located next to the digital odometer. 2.. Turn the ignition key to "Run" or "On" and not "Start". 3.. Count five seconds or better yet, if you didn't buckle-up count five chimes. 4.. Release both buttons at the same time. Then the word "Codes" shows up in the odometer, and a self-test seems to take place; I always get "999" which I assume is the end-of-codes number. After that, a series of tests show up: "Code 1", "Code 2" and "Code 3" which test the gauges, lights and LEDs in the instrument panel, including the trip-computer/compass. a.. On Elko Tchernev's 1998 Stratus, where there is only one combined trip/odometer and reset switch, waiting for 5 seconds will just reset the trip odometer. To get codes, press the switch, turn the ignition to ON, and release the switch as soon as the odometer displays "Check 1". This causes the computer to go through several check sequences (5, IIRC), for all lamps, LED segments and gauges, indicated by "Check 2" etc. and terminated by "End". BUT Al Ward wrote that this only checks the sensors feeding the instrument panel. b.. When the computer indicates major failure, it can activate Limp In mode, which guesses about data to compensate for sensor failure, allowing you to get the car to a mechanic. One major symptom of this is losing third and/or fourth gear. c.. Dan Stewart wrote about the 1999+ Voyager/Caravan with digital gear selection display: a.. There are 2 functions that can be accomplished with the key-on sequence. The first I would like to address is how to pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Begin by placing the key into the ignition. Push and hold the both the "Trip" and the "Reset" buttons with the left hand and turn the key to the "ACC" position (first position between "LOCK" and "RUN"). Continue to hold both buttons in and count to 5. Release both buttons, display should read trip mileage instead of total mileage. Push the "TRIP" button and the odometer will display DTC'S in rotating sequence instead of displaying total mileage. b.. The second function is an instrumentation diagnostic. Place key into ignition, press and hold both "TRIP" and "RESET" while turning the key to the "RUN" position. Continue to hold both buttons in until odometer displays "CODE". Release buttons. The display will then display "999". Afterward it will display "CHECK 0" and test the analog gauges. It will then display "CHECK 1" and test the digital displays. <bullet proof 96 cherokee> wrote in message