Jeep CJ7 Mopar MPFI - Failed California Smog Test

Have had the MPFI on my CJ-7 for several years. Very satisfied. Problem is, have moved to CA from TX - in CA they test for NOX - CO and CO2 readings are excellent - failed NOX. Tester (reliable; actually a "Referee" )said the engine was running too lean, thus failed NOX. Looking for a fix, larger injectors?? Just advance the timing?? Need to find out - trying to regeister in CA - but need to pass Smog

Reply to
Tate Austin via CarKB.com

Have had the MPFI on my CJ-7 for several years. Very satisfied. Problem is, have moved to CA from TX - in CA they test for NOX - CO and CO2 readings are excellent - failed NOX. Tester (reliable; actually a "Referee" )said the engine was running too lean, thus failed NOX. Looking for a fix, larger injectors?? Just advance the timing?? Need to find out - trying to regeister in CA - but need to pass Smog

Reply to
Tate Austin via CarKB.com

Is your EGR working? That is supposed to cut out NOx by cooling the top end I think.

Geese, I got 589 NOx on my manually tuned (no computer) BBD (POS) carb in my CJ7 on a recent test and I don't even have a catalytic converter, just a straight pipe to a Dynomax turbo muffler.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Like Bill said, the cat helps take care of NOx, but it needs to be at operating temperature for it to function like it should. Take your Jeep for a good highway run right before you take it in for the test, and it will help immensely.

Chris

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bill,

I think (probably wrong) that the Mopar MPFI is 'certified', at least here in the Peoples Republik of Massachusetts.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Do they ever stop smog testing out there? It used to be a 15 year old vehicle didn't need the smog test, but now they've locked it at 1984 and newer.

That's why I'm using the parts from my 87 YJ to rebuild an 83 CJ.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Why not install it and just pull it out when the tests need to be done?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I thought your Governator was gonna crush those girlymen in Sacramento and all their silly rules?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bill, you are full of shit.

Hesco makes a MPFI Kit, and has for years, that meets California Smog Rules.

TO THE OP, I have the same system on my Jeep, and I pass smog easily. You have to have something wrong or out of adjustment. I'm not certain, but I think NOX is an issue that results from a beat to shit CAT.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Bill, you are full of shit.

Part of the system is a batch of stickers, and stamped numbers ON THE SYSTEM that designate it as one of the certified systems. One needs nothing "in his hot little hands."

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's border.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'll second that.

My BMW had high NoX readings, and the tech told me to take it around the block at high speed in a low gear, and then he tested it IMMEDIATELY upon my return. It passed.

When I drove in the first time, I had just come off the freeway, BUT I had to wait in line for 45 minutes before I got to the test station.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III