Jeep GC vibrates when idle

Alright, No mechanic am I (but I'd like to learn)... I've got a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L 6 cylinder engine, with about

128K miles on it.

It drives just fine, but if I idle, in Drive,with my foot on the brake, the whole jeep (and everyone inside)vibrates. If I have it in Park it doesn't vibrate, only when in Drive and stopped. It doesn't vibrate when I accelerate either.

Any ideas what could cause the vibration? I haven't checked anything yet....because I don't know what to check. I was thinking the engine mount but wouldn't that cause a vibration at times other than when I described?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Mash

There are several things that can cause stumble under load at idle.

Low battery is the fist thing.

Next is clean the throttle body and check the motor mounts.

The ignition system (plugs, wires, rotor, cap) is next One thing to be on the lookout for is a full up engine quit under low speed braking or sitting at a stop sign. This can be the CPS sensor failing. But for now, check those two things.

Reply to
DougW

Engine mount IMHO.

Reply to
ULB

Some in those years had a problem with the automatic's torque converter lock up, not releasing. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I'm with you here. Motor mount is the first thing that flashed across my mind.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Thanks, How difficult is it to replace the mounts myself. I've read up on it and it doesn't seem too bad.

Reply to
Mash

Not too difficult if you have a good selection of tools and jacks/jack stands. Sometimes it will take a bit of oomph from a 2x4 to move the engine a bit.

'll have time to plan while the parts get in.

Reply to
DougW

"ULB" wrote .

Engine mount IMHO.

Reply to
Kate

OK, I will definitely check/replace those motor mounts. Thanks for all of the help.

DougW, In that link you posted it says you should replace the transmission mount when the motor mounts are replaced. So I should replace that too?

Thanks alot

Reply to
Mash

That's actually my site. :)

And yes, you should. It also sags and I found that out when the front two were replaced the motor tilted back enough the fan hit the top of the radiator shroud.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
philthy