Jeep got wrecked today.. some questions...

It's not too bad; a middle-aged woman pulled out in front of me and I slammed her. I have an Olympic front Rock bumper on my '97 TJ with the winch mount and it took most of the impact, though the Jeep will need a new flare, fender, and maybe a hood. I thought the Oly had survived with only cosmetic damage but the "back strap" (hard to explain) is bowed, showing that the end must have deflected in alt least a little.

My body feels OK though I may have tweaked my hip. We'll see in the morning I guess.

So, first off, things like aftermarket bumpers are NOT covered in insurance, right? At least my Warn is OK. I can live with the bumper as it is if that's the case... i'll just repaint it.

Second... for those of you who have recently wrecked, anything to watch out for in this whole process? How do I insure that I get my TJ back perfectly repaired with the best parts, etc?

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

As long as you have a reciept for the bumper I don't see why your/her insurance wouldn't cover it. Were you determined to be at fault? Hope you feel OK in the morning!

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Have you driven it yet? You might have some front end steering/suspension damage. Take it for a drive and go slowly....but see how she handles/feels!! Hopefully you didn't twist the frame.... But make sure a good mechanic goes over her.

As far as insurance....I don't see why they wouldn't cover it! Like the other poster said...receipt!! That big front bumper probably saved you from worse damage that would've resulted in them writing off the vehicle! The magic number up here in Canada is only a few thousand dollars....it's related to the newness of the vehicle too. But there's a good market to buy 'written' off vehicles and fix them up. Cheap to buy....but require a bit of time to fix. Turnover is good$$.

Reply to
SteveBrady

Handywired did pass the time by typing:

If the other driver is at fault, everything is covered. Don't let the other persons insurace company lie to you.

First off, I'm going on the _assumption_ that the other driver was "at fault". IANAL(1)

If you don't feel good ... SEE YOUR DOCTOR! ... I don't know how badly you got whacked but since you don't mention airbags going off I'm assuming you just got tweaked by the seatbelt. Even so, if you have any tingling or numbness in any extremety, or blurry vision (not caused by beer) get your ass to the doctors office pronto.

After making sure your ok..

Contact the other drivers insurance company and find out if they have a appraiser in the area or if they work with a shop of your choosing. I'd personally choose a Jeep dealership for repairs unless you know a reputable local shop. That way you know the body parts won't be cheap aftermarket.

Have them check the whole thing. power train, Engine, tranny, xfr case, diffs, frame alignment, etc

While your Jeep is being fixed the other drivers insurance is responsible to provide you with a rental. Most are limited to $25 a day or the el-cheapo enterprise or similar rental.

How old is your Jeep. If it's fairly new, some states allow you to get the resale value lost due to the collision. A good guide is Kelly Bluebook and

compare "Excellent" vs "Poor" then ask for that amount.

If the other insurance company tries to screw you, mention the fact that your being nice to them an could refer this to a lawyer. That usually gets them back in line. If they refuse to budge, make a few calls and get a lawyer. Try to use one that people you know have had good experience with.

(1) I Am Not A Lawyer

-- DougW

Reply to
DougW

What a bummer, Jeff! I had a similar wreck in my '95 YJ back when it was only a few months old. The damage looked a lot worse than it actually was. I had to get a new grille, hood, and fender, as I recall. The other guy was at fault -- young kid delivering pizza ran a stop sign and I couldn't help nailing his right rear quadrant. His outfit looked a _lot_ worse than mine. My frame got slightly tweaked. but they were able to straighten it, and actually got it into better alignment than what it was when it left the factory. I'm still driving the same Jeep and didn't have any latent problems with it after it was fixed. Only advice I have is to insist on authentic Jeep parts, and pay close attention to detail. For example, I had to get them to order me a new hood latch because the repair shop missed the fact that the one in the accident was slightly out of whack and wouldn't stay fastened. Good luck, Gary

Reply to
Gary

Probably a dumb/obvious one...but replace your seatbelt! I had this happen and mine was stretched and crappy after.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Matt,

Never even thought of that, seems like good advice to pass on to friends...

Makes sense...

Kevin O'Brien Eastern MA Jeep dealer

Reply to
Kevin O'Brien