Jeep Grand Cherokee

What's on deck for replacing the Jeep Grand Cherokee? We have owned a '2000, and been extremely pleased with the vehicle other than required maintenance costs.

It has truly been a delight to drive both on-road and off-road!

But new plugs at 36,000 miles fails in comparison to my Honda CRV's

110,000 miles. Likewise. other service intervals seem very short compared to Honda/Toyota/Lexus intervals.

Anyway, would like to buy another Jeep, (read Jeep not Pacifica), that can really go off road when required!!

Come on Daimler, let's get on with keeping the Jeep tradition alive!!

Jerry

Reply to
James Spillane

L.W.(ßill)

Here's what's known so far on the 2005 Grand Cherokee.

News: Grand Cherokee jumps the gun on 2004 partly to prepare for the fully redesigned '05s that should start sale in the first half of next year. On road ride and handling is a major concern of Jeep, and they will greatly improve apon these characteristics. Dimensions and weight seem sure to increase, as today's 5-seat wagon reportedly gives way to a 7-passenger design with 3-row seating. Two models will be available. The Cherokee will be the short wheelbase 5-passenger, while the Grand Cherokee will be a longer wheelbase

7-passenger. Styling is said to be more crisp and angular, but with Grand Cherokee hallmarks intact. Cherokee models will feature steel wheels, cloth seating, and a V6. Grand Cherokees will continue with the upscale look and feel. Both models will have a higher 'waist line' and windows that are less tall compared to the current model. Body cladding will start lower than this 'waist line'. The rear lift gate looks more Meredes like. The entire rear end looks very Volvo like, as the 1984-1992 Cherokee also did. A 9 inch rear seat entertainment system can be optioned. This includes it's own 5 speaker surround sound system. The LCD screen currently folds down from the ceiling, but may be built into the center console in production models. Look for this setup to gain a wireless internet hook up and feature Microsoft Pocket Windows and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. The system should be able to run Microsoft Word, Excel, and PictureIT. The Secure Digital (SD) card (the new Floppy Disk) will be the only way to input/output data to the system. The SD card reader will be built into the keyboard.

Model names are still up in the air. Laredo and Limited may be dropped for the more Euro designations Cherokee S370, Grand Cherokee S470, S470HO, and S570.

In another apparent rethink, the '05 will not share structure or running gear with parent Mercedes' new-generation M-Class SUV, which is due about the same time. Instead, the base Cherokee gets a high output version of the modern

3.7-liter V6 from Jeep's compact Liberty SUV. Its extra power and torque over the old 4.0 inline-6 should help offset the added heft. Grand Cherokee V8 versions will likely offer an improved 4.7-liter engine, and maybe Chrysler's new 5.7-liter "hemi" (2006). Other possible new options are an emergency assistance/concierge service like Mercedes' TeleAid, a navigation system, and a height-adjustable electronically controlled air-spring suspension. 2wd models will have late availability, and feature new 'better feel' steering.

see spy photos of the long wheel base version here. Said to be a 2004, but it's the 2005 model.

(free registration required)

Reply to
Mark12211

I bet it's going to be a lot of fun to get the plugs out of that Honda after 110,000 miles! I wouldn't leave plugs in anything for that long and I don't care WHAT the book says ... warrenty is long gone by then so they don't care either!

Plugs are cheap, heads are not.

Jeff DeWitt

James Spillane wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

You have to change the oil / airfilter / coolant before 110K - it doesn't take 5 minutes to do the plugs at the same time.

Reply to
Dave Milne

The 'Jeep' tradition is alive and well.. if you keep plugs in up to 110,000 miles, I would love to see your tires.. btw, did you know that running slicks on the street is illegal.. maybe you think the little pieces of metal cord that stick out give you better traction in mud and snow.. lol..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Ja, everyone knows that the metal cord is only effective on ice...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The metal cord makes really cool sparks when you spin the tires at night

Jeff DeWitt

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt