Jeep Grand Cherokee 1994 alarm problems

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 1994 that was purchased used without the keyless alarm.

Some months ago, the drivers' side door lock failed to disarm the alarm, so I have been using the trunk to disengage before opening it.

My battery recently ran down after leaving the fan on overnight.

The engine cutoff was enabled when I tried to restart.

Successive attempts to fix the problem have led to a dead battery and much frustration. Including a disabled car with the windows down for three days of rainstorm.

I have purchased a new battery to trouble-shoot. When I connect the battery, the alarm activates. I lock the doors and then disarm the alarm with the key in the trunk door. At this point I have power. I then unlock the drivers' door and place the key in the ignition. I still have power at this point. When I turn the key from the first (power on?) position to start, I get a click and then the power system is disabled.

Is there a default key position that should be set when connecting a battery?

If not, is there a way to disarm/bypass the alarm or replace whatever module seems to have failed in the door (find on ebay?)?

This is an old Jeep and I'm looking for the least expensive fix. I have purchased the Repair Manual and do not see any relevant help there. Any help would be much appreciated as I've been trying to play with the locks to get a setting that will get me back to where I was.

Driving to the dealer is not an option, as I cannot start the car.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
tunacity

tunacity did pass the time by typing:

Turn the key to ON then connect the battery. Make sure your headlights are turned off or you will draw a rather big spark and that is bad.

After the battery is in you just get in the car and start it.

It's just a switch stuck on the end of the keyway.

I'd run a diagnostic first. If you have the service book it walks you through the procedure.

If the switch is dead you can order one from

's $31 (pricey bugger) Removing the security module isn't an option. The Jeep will not run with it disconnected.

Reply to
DougW

Indubitably .

Connecting battery with key in the ON position remedied the problem. The alarm still activated, but I was able to disarm it by turning the trunk lock with a second key.

Previously, this would have led me to turning the key and engaging the shutoff. Connecting the battery with the key in the ON position avoided the problem.

DougW wrote:

have failed in the door (find on ebay?)?

Reply to
tunacity

tunacity did pass the time by typing:

It's the little gotchas.

Basically the alarm system wants to know the owner is attaching the battery. So it looks for the key in the On position. Personally I don't like that because it creates more of a draw and can lead to larger sparks. Sparks around battery terminals are not good. That's why the warning about making sure the lights are off. Same thing applies if you have an aftermarket sterio with amplifires.

Reply to
DougW