Jeep Grand Cherokee Radio problem

I own a 1994 Grand Cherokee Larado with a factory cassette stereo. The stereo is the bas model, not the gold series Infinity system. The sound has bad when I play the radio and I thought maybe the tuner went bad, so I bought another identical stereo and the problem persists.

When I tune to a radio station the sound is really low and weak, except for 2 stations that are less than 30 miles from my home. No change while driving, except when I drive towards Atlanta, the stations come in better and better as I get closer..

However, when I put in a cassette, the sound is just fine. I do not want to change out the stereo for an aftermarket, since my system is a double din and those replacement units are expensive and most single din units look funny even with the kit.

What else should I look at to solve the problem ?

Do these Jeeps have an amplifier for the base model cassette stereo ?

What about the antenna and the antenna cable ?

Anything else ? Thanks.

William

Reply to
WildBill66

It sounds very much like you have a problem with either the antenna cable, the antenna, or both.

Reply to
Dick

Yep, sounds a lot like antenna or antenna feedline (cable) or both. For the cable, don't just trust your eyes, the center lead in the cable can separate and you'll never find it except with time-domain reflectometry. It will seem good to an ohmmeter, but won't work so well for receiving. One quick and cheap test you can do is, with the radio playing, grab the cable in several places and wiggle it. Sometimes this will cause an internal center lead separation to make/break resulting in normal/abnormal radio operation.

Antenna problems are a little more noticeable. Breaks are usually very obvious.

Also, check the antenna connector to the radio. Make sure it is well seated and clean.

Good luck. These kind of problems are a real bear to track down.

Regards,

Reply to
Turner Morgan

Reply to
mic canic

Mic,

No white corrosion on antena mast.

Where do I check for the antenna ground to the body ? The plug in on the back of the radio is fine, it connects tightly and the contacts on the plug are okay too. There is a ground wire on the back of the radio, which is connectly and appears to be fine. I tugged on it lightly and it is connected to the other end of the ground. Thanks. And thanks to Dick and Turner as well!

William

Reply to
WildBill66

Reply to