Jeep in water - now transmission will not work

I have a Jeep 88 Wrangler that stalled out in about 3 feet of muddy water last week. I did not have water come in through the air intake, but I did have water enter the transmission. I drove home (60 miles) and immediately drained the engine oil, transmission oil, transfer case, and diffs. There was a strange noise, kind of like a strange rubbing noise on the way home, and I attributed it to the clutch as it seemed to come and go as I pressed and released the clutch pedal. I removed the transmission to inspect the clutch (seemed fine) and to completely drain it by tipping it on its end. The fluid was milky looking and definately contaminated with water. I reinstalled both diff covers and filled the engine oil and changed the oil filter. It was a long night after a fun day of wheelin.

Today ( a week later) I reassembled he transmission, filled the transmission with fluid, filled the transfer case, rebled the clutch, etc and fired it up. I went to shift the Jeep into gear and I can not budge it into gear. It felt that the shifter was still centered in neutral. I could move the shifter laterally to the right where it is in position to go into 5th or Reverse. I could not move it laterally to the left at all. Well after struggling with tying to shift it into gear (it wil not budge at all, no grinding noises, just will not shift) I realized the transfer case was in neutral. I shifted the case into 2H and released the clutch, and realized the Jeep is in gear. The jeep moved forward. I do not understand how I could have lateral movement in the shifter while being stuck in a gear. I also do not understand why my transmission shifting is seized up, other than contamination, and maybe the fact I let it sit for a week with no fluid. The transmission also has a light clicking sound internally, but I can not pinpoint it.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Will

Reply to
wbowlin

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Bill, I am not sure I follow. What do you mean by 'pull that rail back into neutral'? Sorry I am just a greenhorn on transmissions. Thanks

Reply to
wbowlin

Pull the shift lever out again, and look down into the transmission. You will see three rails that move back and forth, parallel with the mainshaft. They each have a notch in them, that the end of the shift lever fits in. Before installing the shift lever, you have to line up all the notches so the transmission is in neutral. Then you pop the shift lever in without disturbing any of them..Once it is all the way down, you should be able to shift into all the gears.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Part of your mistake was driving it 60 miles with water in it. I know you do not want to walk but there is a times when you do not drive them far and this was one of them. Second mistake was letting it sit empty for a wek and without doubt some rust has set in internally. You show have drained and refilled it right away and maybe put a few oz's of dry gas with lube too (alchol in dry gas can bind to water and oil) drove it a bit and then drained it again as this would have removed alll the water in there. At this stage, the damage is likely done and you need to pull tranny and tear it down to inspect it. (I beleive you stated it made noisy on way home and this is not good either) THere is no magic fixes here and to suggest otherwise would be misleading at this stage of the game.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

SnoMan you are a moron. This is all true but it has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's stated problem.

And for our Spanish-speaking friends. Snoman eres morón y hijo de la gran puta. Lo que balbuceas de manera tan necia es verdad, sí claro, pero no tiene nada que ver con la queja del puteador original. El tío no puede manipular el cambio de marchas, y la respuesta es tan sencillo que un novato pueda contestarla. ¿Por qué no lo haces? ¡Porque no tienes ni puta idea!

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Oh boy more tranny advice from da snoflake. Is it worth reading? From nearly every past experience, who cares if it is.

Past post by the yellowsnoman: ___________________________________________________________ SBJ: 4T65E

(Confuses a 4T65e with a 4L65e and won't admit it.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Dumb brake question
(Discribes the wrong brakes and won't admit it.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
(Claims torque specs are wrong when they are not.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
(Snoball breaks these out when he knows he's wrong and doesn't want to admit it.)___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Heatwave

The moron here is you as usual. Even if the shifter came out of ralils it would not come out unless a LOT of force was apply to shift it and that means it was binding and it was forced. It was binding from rust and/or damage and people like you are dangerous because you are really clueless and try to plant false hopes. You never want to treat cause (because it escapes you) only the symptoms best you can with your limited understanding of how and why things work. You really should take up a different language because your advise is worthless anyway so you might as well speak it in a foreign tongue too. Someone would be very foolish to follow your dribble in this thread.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Oh boy is right, another insecure troll about. Where there is one there is another. BTW, I will not be the child you are and quote all the foolish dribble you have posted because it would take all night and then some to list it all. Knock yourself out. I am laughing at you (and so are others)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

BTW, you are notice how some of these cry babies like HeatWave do not even use a real Email address? That alone tells you a lot about their validity.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Earle,

Your Spanish is amazing!

Regards,

Doug

Earle Hort> SnoMan you are a moron. This is all true but it has absolutely nothing to

Reply to
D Gavilanes

This is the typical lame diatribe snoflake uses when he goes into=20 offense mode. This contains way fewer spelling errors than usual. Either=20 he's using spell check or he's sober at the moment.=20

LMAO nearly everything you write is in a different language.

The word "dribble" is something he picked up from those writing about=20 his post. He very slowly picks these things up and tries to use them=20 against others. Its getting more laughable everytime he picks something=20 new up and attempts to use it in a scathing maner.=20

Snoball these links contain things that "YOU" wrote. If you do not like=20 what YOU wrote then I suggest YOU stop posting. ___________________________________________________________ SBJ: 4T65E

(Confuses a 4T65e with a 4L65e and won't admit it.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Dumb brake question
(Discribes the wrong brakes and won't admit it.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
(Claims torque specs are wrong when they are not.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
(Snoball breaks these out when he knows he's wrong=20 and doesn't want to admit it.)___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Heatwave

Uh, he said that he removed the transmission completely. That would imply that he had removed the lever, thus giving the opportunity to put it back incorrectly, so there is no need for "a LOT of force" to have been applied.

Instead of getting pissed off why don't you try actually _reading_ the post to which you are responding?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've taped the pan up and pour water in place of the engine oil, no big deal, just take it slow and it got me back from fifty miles from nowhere. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

That's not what they tell me in alt.usage.spanish. It's a tough crowd over there, but they're good teachers. Don't tell them I said this.

Saludos,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

SnoMan can't read.

Saludos,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

sure I follow. What do you mean by 'pull that rail

Earle & Bill, Thanks for the pointer on the shift rails. My 1-2 shift rail was out of alignment with the shifter by about an inch, which was enough to cause me grief. I lined it back up and was able to shift flawlessly. The thing is shifting like butter (well I suppose as good as a peougot can) now after the fluid change, but it does seem to be a little on th screechy side. I don't know if its just noticeable now because I didn't reinstall the cover plate or shifter boot before taking it out for a spin, but it is a little noisy at times. Any idea on that?

Thanks again for the help. I learned a little about trannys along the way.

Reply to
wbowlin

If you got that much water in it, I would recommend another change after warming up the transmission real well. I am betting on cover plate for the noise though. Maybe SnoMan has some more ideas...

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton