Jeep Liberty 2005 Clutch

Hello, I just Bought a new Jeep Liberty limited 2005, 3.7L, 2WD automatic, and I am experiencing that something is wrong with my transmission, when I overdrive and the RPM's go to 3000 and then finally shift to 4th gear going down to 2500 I smell like the clutch is burning or somethig like it. Is this normal?

Reply to
Mario via CarKB.com

No. A new car should not smell like it is burning.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If it's an automatic there's no clutch.

Reply to
wkearney99

You have a clutch?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I believe he said he is experiencing a "smell like the clutch is burning or somethig like it"

Reply to
Billy Ray

In that case, Bill is right (never thought I'd sat that), his e-brake is probably being toasted...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
attnews

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Mario via CarKB.com

Take it to the dealer and have them figure it out.

Ed

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

Lock-up torque convertor having a bit of slippage?

Mario via CarKB.com proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

That you release the handle doesn't gurantee it's released. It's possible that it's not releasing fully. But it'd smell all the time so it's unlikely to be the culprit in this particular situation.

What's the smell like? Is it engine oil, antifreeze or trans fluid? Are there any leak spots under it in your regular parking space? Is there any filmy residue on the underside of the transmission? Burning smells don't usually come without fluids dripping, usually onto some part of the exhaust system. Look for where something's dripped and that might point to the source.

Of course I'd also check to be sure there's also enough fluid IN the trans and that it's not discolored. It's entirely possible it's not filled properly or that something's broken. If the trans is overheating then it'd probably be apparently in the color of the trans fluid being darker than it's supposed to be.

The only other ideas that come to mind might be belt oriented. Like something's binding up when the air conditioning compressor comes or something similar. Unlikely given the symptoms you've described. Cooked smells come from something being hotter than it's supposed to be, either from something dripping, something overheating (electrical) or something rubbing more than it's supposed to be.

Tangentally, make sure nothing's gotten caught up on the drive train. Something wrapped around the drive or axle shafts might be getting cooked as the RPMs increase. Blue plastic grocery bags come to mind. Or rodentia trapped somewhere...

If the problem is regularly repeatable then write down those steps and demonstrate it to the dealer. There's a certain amount of 'burn off' expected in a new vehicle, it doesn't sound like that's happening with yours.

Reply to
wkearney99