Jeep Limited Tire Chains

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 245/70/16 tires and according to the manual, it says you can't install tire chains.

What do people do if they are required to have chains for some mountain passes?

Reply to
Douglas Smiht

You have to use a special category type, I think they say "S" type but I am not sure. Mostly, you are limited to cable type chains instead of standard steel link chains.

Here is a site that will tell you all you need to know:

Good Luck !!

--James--

James Nipper

Type S is just the minimal tire clearance type chain. The trick with the Grand Cherokee is to use a slightly undersized tire and/or even wheel. And if you do ever actually need to mount the chains, keep speed down to 25 mph or less...which won't be hard, as the difference between road closed and chains is pretty small over the Sierra passes. The "z" style radial cable chains will clear if you poke around for the size restrictions for Jeep on the above website.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11