Jeep manual shift and rattle problem

For the last two months I've been experiencing a clunky rattle underneath when accelerating from a dead stop and when I hit bumps. Two mechanics could not find anything wrong. It was mostly felt right under the floor by my right foot on the gas.

Today, driving the 98 TJ and trying to shift into first and second was incredibly difficult, the stick would not budge. I could not shift into first at all. Second was very difficult as well. Is my tranny going? I was hoping maybe it's just an adjustment or something?

Reply to
stephjeff

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You sure could be describing a broken tranny mount and/or bad engine mounts.

Mike

stephjeff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

There is a TSB posted for that noise under your right foot by Jeep.

has something to do with the transfer case linkage being connected to thebody right there at your foot. There is a kit to correct this and betterisolate the clunking noise. As far as your shifting goes, check your trannymount for breakage or slop causing movement of the whole drivetrain. Checktranny fluid as well. You may have several issues in concert. Regards,

GK

Reply to
GK

WooHoo!

Thanks for the info. I have been suffering with this ame problem and had been looking for the solution too. I had already diagnosed the problem to be this, but did not yet know how to go about fixing it. I'll be ordering that kit right away!!

-Fred W

98 TJ Sport
Reply to
Fred W.

Thank you for that TSB! I am so tired of the noise, I'm calling the dealer tomorrow.

As for the shifting, today my clutch is totally limp. I'm not a mechanic at all. I have not seen any leaking from my jeep since I got it new. I always check. I had to drive home from work all the way in second gear. Couldn't shift. Luckily those 3.73 gears can help the jeep take off from a stop!

Reply to
stephjeff

Sounds like something may be broken or way out of adjustment in your clutch pedal linkage. If the clutch master cylinder is not leaking fluid I would check the clutch pedal mechanism. Most times a hydraulic clutch master cylinder will leak on the inside of the firewall inside the cabin instead of under the hood. Look under the dash. Also, brake fluid will eat paint in short order.

Good luck,

GK

Reply to
GK

Thank You Mr. Hughes. You hit it on the head. I had no brake fluid left! I filled it up and it shifted much better. The clutch is still a littly mushy, but works correctly. I guess I have a leak I have to find. I hope it's not more than that.

Thank you very much.

Reply to
stephjeff