Jeep Stalling

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with about 158K miles. recently it has started stalling after i drive for a while. It has never stalled when the engine is cold. When it stalls, the engine just shuts off. Sometimes it would start right away. but on occasions i would have to wait for about 5 mts before i give it a try. It has never stalled while driving at higway speeds [so far!]. Does this sound like CPS issue? thanks

Reply to
sant

That could easily be the bad connection on the CPS issue. The best cleaner for the computer signal plug is electronic contact cleaner but WD40 will work in a pinch.

The CPS is on the drivers side bell housing and the plug is either on the intake manifold or over above the dipstick I hear on some. You can just follow the wires to get to it anyway.

Mike

Mike Romain

our 96 grand cherokee would stall at idle intermittently.It was due to the tourqe converter staying locked.We changed the transmission filter and solved the problem.We usually wind up having to change the filter every

1 -1.5 years.
Reply to
digitalmaster

Where is the transmission filter? Is it in the transmission? I looked on my alldata for filters but didnt hit transmission, does it have another name?

thx,

Air Filter Element Air Filter Element Crankcase Filter Crankcase Filter Crankcase Vent Filter Crankcase Vent Filter Evaporative Canister Filter Evaporative Canister Filter Fluid Filter - A/T Fluid Filter - Transfer Case Fluid Filter - Transfer Case Fluid Filter - Transfer Case, C>

Reply to
PoBoy

The filter is internal to the automatic tranny. Parts stores sell them.

If the auto tranny is the issue, dropping it to neutral will avoid the trouble, but it still should start right back up.

Mike

another name?

Reply to
Mike Romain

another name?

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Could be CPS or could be your fuel pump is going (not unheard of at

100,000+ miles) Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."
Reply to
Drifter

On 18 Feb 2006 08:52:25 -0800 in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, "sant" wrote,

Exactly the same symptom as my '84 CJ7. Turned out to be the ignition module. Tested bad on the tester at Auto Zone. No problem since replacing it.

Mine did!

Could be lots of things.

Reply to
David Harmon

Reply to
philthy

I had a similar problem with my 97 TJ, and it was the ignition switch

Reply to
jongig

In article , sant wrote: #I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with about 158K miles. recently it has #started stalling after i drive for a while. It has never stalled when #the engine is cold. When it stalls, the engine just shuts off. #Sometimes it would start right away. but on occasions i would have to #wait for about 5 mts before i give it a try. It has never stalled while #driving at higway speeds [so far!]. #Does this sound like CPS issue? #thanks #

What kind of odometer do you have? Is it a electronic one? If so, turn your ignition to on, then off, then on, then off, then on again. Don't crank it. You should then get any diag codes from the computer that you can look up where the milage is normaly displayed. If it goes straight to done, then there are no codes. Otherwise, you will need to take it in to someone with a code reader to see if there are any engine codes that might give you a clue as to what is going on...

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Reply to
sant

The trouble isn't with the CPS if it starts back up, but with the 'connection' on the plug to the CPS. Sure changing the thing will give you half of the trouble replaced and a new scratch on the other half, but a clean should be all it needs.

I also had the exact symptoms of a CPS failure when the ground strap from the rear of the engine head to the firewall failed. The vehicle can steal a ground and work intermittently.

Mike

Mike Romain

just checked the codes again. It shows a cam shaft position sensor being the culprit. Looking to replace cam shaft and possibly clean the CPS connection. Will let you all know how it goes.

Reply to
sant

You have 2 CPS's!!!!

One is the Cam sensor, the other is the Crank sensor!!!!

Clean them both eh...

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks... Will give them both a try...