Jeep TJ Air Conditioning.

Hi:

I have a 1998 Jeep TJ Sahara, automatic with air - just encountered a problem with the air conditioning - when any of the selections that use air are selected on the slider, you can hear the air conditioning unit engage for about 3 seconds and then promptly shut off, recycle to another non-air setting and then back to an air setting and exactly the same thing occurs - engages for about 3 seconds and then promptly shuts off.

Went to the dealer - they want $150 just to get started on it - went to a small shop - he wants $150 just to get started on it. They say they charge it up, and use a dye to look for leaks - anybody encountered this problem and what was the fix?? Where was it leaking??

Also pulled and re-installed the relay in the box under the hood (didn't put in a new one)(there's no way you can tell if its working or not unless you buy a new one and put it in??)- is there also some sort of temperature sensor that might have gone that could be causing the problem??

Anybody have any experience with this problem??

Thanks,

Jim Hawkins snipped-for-privacy@telus.net

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

It's likely low on refrigerant. O-rings leak often. You can buy a complete set of O-rings and replace them yourself, but you still have to get the old refrigerant safely out and into a recycling unit, and the new refrigerant back in. That is what the $150 is for. You can get by with a vacuum pump like the one I bought two summers ago, but a good one will go for $500. Heck a set of decent gauges will set you back $100. I should really have a charging station, but with two vehicles that have air I just couldn't justify the price.

For $150 you can't even get close to the equipment you need to fix this thing yourself I vote for the small shop, especially if they have a good local reputation.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hi, When the clutch engages for a few seconds-you could be low on

134A. If you buy a charging kit,make sure there is no sealant with the 134A.It will clog the orfice tube. You will need a hose with connectors,134A -1 can (without a sealer). Run the jeep -connect the can to the hose-attach the cupping to the ac line.(only on size-can not make a mistake). Once the clutch stays engaged and is blowing cold air. You are done! Good Luck.

Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

Reply to
mctiger

Come on, Bill, where are you on this one? You are slacking off. We all know that Real Jeeps don't have air conditioning.

Jerry

Reply to
belowme

My 81 CJ has air conditioning, little handle located on both doors, of coarse if I want it on high then it's little screws accross the top of winsheild and along top of rear tub.

Reply to
Greg

You likely have the famous rotted TJ evaporator. Prepare for a $1000+ repair. See my descriptions:

Richard J Kinch

twaldron