Jeep TJ dana 35 axle rebuild

OK so i currently have a 97 sahara with 3.55 gears, an open differential in the rear, and a dana 35c. I have 3" combined lift,

33x10.5 bfg muds, 4.0 straight six, and 5 spd. I use my Jeep as a daily driver and travel 100 miles north nearly every weekend to my lakehouse. I offroad frequently, mostly mud and light rocks. I tow a medium sized utility trailer twice a week also.

I am looking at the Super 35 kit and detroit locker to beef up my dana

35c, as i know it WILL break in the future if i dont do anything about it. While im doing that i may as well change my gears to 4.11 or 4.56. However, im unsure about which gears to choose. i know the 4.11s will be better on the highway, but will I lack towing and offroad capability compared to the 4.56s? Which would you do? Also I would like to hear from anyone who has the Super 35 kit. Would it be more worth it to spend a little extra for a custom dana 44 with the gears, and locker also. Or should i just head to the local yard and swap for a ford 8.8" axle from an exlporer?

Thanks alot Derek

Reply to
Derek Proctor
4.56 is a superb all-around ratio for 33" tires, assuming your TJ has the 5-speed manual tranny and not an automatic. At one time, I had 33" tires and installed 4.10 gearing and regretted that decision, wishing every day that I drove that combination that I had gone with 4.56 instead.

For what you do, the Super35 would be a very good choice unless cost is not an issue. If it's not, the Dana 44 is hard to beat as a good solid all-around axle for typical Jeeping needs. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I agree with Jerry B, the Superior kit will likely be fine for your needs but I personally wouldn't spend money on a D35. While beefing up the shafts, the ring gear is still a weak link compared to a stock Ford 9, 8.8 or D44. The plus side is no fabrication. I think you could build up a used D44 for less than the Super 35 and use the left over cash for the D30 carrier and gears... I'd go 4.56 for 33's.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Derek,

I have friend who regularly and brutally abused a Super 35 on 33x12.50s and was unable to damage it. If you do go the Super 35 route, it's a good idea to weld the pumpkin to the axle tubes (spun my D35 on the tubes before swapping in a D44) and truss the tubes so they don't bend. If you live in an area that gets snow, consider the ARB air locker option instead of the Detroit.

At 70 mph in fifth, your RPM would be:

3.55 : 2011 4.10 : 2322 4.56 : 2583

I have 4.10 on my XJ with the same engine, trans, and tires. Generally works real well on the highway, but I do occasionally need to downshift in order to maintain speed when hauling a full load up a steep grade.

Steve

Derek Proctor wrote:

Reply to
Steve

My familiar rant in here is: Don't waste money on a D35. However, if you can't afford the jump to a D44 or a 9 inch, atleast do the Super 35 kit. It does zilch for the puny pihon bearings, the skinny axle tubes, etc., but it at least gets rid of the snap-prone axles & the c-clips, and you get a Detroit to boot. Still, get the 44 and toss the 35 into a pond somewhere.

Reply to
Jerry McG

The TJ's Dana 44 and Dana 35c both use the exact same 2.625" axle tubes, the front Dana 30 is 2.5".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Just on Ebay, dana 35 complete, starting bid, $1.00, that should tell you something.

Reply to
Greg

I wouldn't mess with the D35 either, from all I've seen and heard about these POS axles.

You can get a Ford 8.8 for a decent price, IMO. I saw a batch of them f/s (a friend is looking to go this route one day, so I keep my eye open for good deals) from ok4wd.com (I get a newsletter from their website). They said "starting at $799.95". I don't know what all that includes, but I do know the 8.8 comes with disc brakes, beefier everything, etc. no matter what. Seemed a good deal on the surface (to me). Of course, I don't know what a superior D35 conversion costs, so it may or may not be a better deal. I'd do it just to beef everything up, and to get a rear disc brake conversion bonus out of the deal...

Putting it in perspective, I think the $800 price on new rear axle is an awesome deal, considering how much godawful amount of money I spent on just ONE of my ARBs, parts alone...lol

/Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ah, what would you recommend for gearing if you have an auto in the tire-size scenerio? vs a manual...

-Jim

Reply to
Jim Bratton

Brand new and complete with 4.10, limited slip, disc brakes, yoke and TJ suspension mounts (and C-clips :]) for $1250. Not bad, especially if that's your ratio.

Superior 'Super 35' is $810. Randy's 'Ultimate 35' $750. Both with Detroit locker. Gears and trussing extra:

One motivator for some to upgrade the 35 is the ability to retain stock ABS.

Steve

Reply to
Steve