Jeep Toad

What's the best Jeep for a fun vehicle to be towed behind an RV for som

retired Jeep fun? Not a hard core rock hound or sand drag nut, jus wanna have good light weight 4X4 to tow behind my RV and have availabl for absolutely ANY transportation needs I might have in the mountains o where ever, for cheap......Did I say FOR CHEAP? Yes I said and mean ride for value. And may want to load it up with Vintage Bultaco Trial bike or what ever......and don't forget the fish........fly fishing i my life now

-- BuntRVer

Reply to
BuntRVer

Probably an XJ, (Cherokee). These days they are pretty inexpensive and with the 4.0 and 4x4 are about as capable and tough as anything out there.

Jeff DeWitt (of course I might be a bit biased)

BuntRVer wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

We tow a Libby and have a ball with it. You might need a lift kit in it if you get too far off road. We go almost anywhere with it except for rock crawling type stuff. We use it all over the Az. desert during our snowbird run in the winter. On the road it is great and the air conditioning don't hurt. If we have to replace it we will get another Libby.

Reply to
AJ

Cherokee... you basically described it in your post... light (lighter than many mustangs) more so than any Jeep built in the last 30 years. The 4.0 is the best powerplant ever put in a Jeep (by a factory) IMHO. For power, durability, reliability ease of working on, cheap and easy to get parts for. It's got better climate control than a Wrangler, it's lighter and still has more room. Best of all they are all over the place for extremely cheap prices... You can get a lifted 10 year old Cherokee off ebay for a couple thousand dollars (3 to 4k with nice paint and no mechanical issues). early 90's bone stock XJ's commonly go for around a grand, fully running (of course over 100k miles) because there are a ton of them for sale... This combo (4.0 equipped Cherokee with an AX15 manual or AW4 Automatic) commonly goes over 200k miles on normal maint.

Oh yeah and it gets excellent fuel mileage (mid to low 20's stock)... not just for an SUV, but for anything with a engine over 3 litres and a curb wight over 3000 pounds. I recently looked at a Toyota Camry V6 for the wife; that got worse mileage than my stock XJ, and comparable mileage to my lifted 33 inch rubber clad 4.6 stroker Cherokee.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I owned a Libby for awhile, if I were looking for something like you are wanting, I would definitely consider it but I think the Cherokee will fit more into your CHEAP budget and the Cherokee is a great rig!

Kate

06 Rubic>
Reply to
Kate

What's a Libby? How does that compare to a CJ5 or CJ7

-- BuntRVer

Reply to
BuntRVer

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Keep in mind the youngest CJ-5 you'll find is over 25 years old and will have a host of mechanical problems in the budget you are talking about. Try a mid-90s or later Cherokee for utility, or a 97-up Wrangler for top down wind in your face fun.

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Neat. I would have thought that was a 2WD car.

Reply to
Daniel Melameth

Looks like the problem in that video is that particular Libby has an open rear end, if it had Twin Traction (er positraction) it looks like it would have driven right out.

Jeff DeWitt

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Bill why don't you go piss up a rope? He's got a perfectly valid point. A CJ5 is a great inexpensive jeep project... if you've got a year or two and 4 or 5 grand to spend restoring and rebuilding your $1500 CJ5... Assuming you stay stock and don't upgrade anything at all. Drums all around, no power anything and a wheezy 1960's 8 cylinder topping out at just over 100 horse power at the wheels if you're lucky.

$5500 will buy you 2 or 3 cherokee's with Power everything, cold AC hot defrost, a modern era brake system, a 145 HP (rear wheel) fuel injected semi-modern power plant; and in need of maybe an oil change and new brake pads (or whatever).

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I seen that video a number of times and the thought that goes through my mine is that the driver intended to get stuck.

He is driving on the right edge where the road is quite uneven and it appears that if he was centered in the lane or to the left that the roadway was fairly level.

Reply to
billy ray

Add to what Simon says The Liberty does NOT get good mileage - 16-17 is good for them. Better than my Rubicon, but still pretty yuck for a 6 banger.

Kate

"Sim>> What's the best Jeep for a fun vehicle to be towed behind an RV for some

Reply to
Kate

Well he IS driving a Jeep, he was just trying to do it the hard way!

Jeff DeWitt

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yes but mu point that you missed was any CJ-5 in his price range is going to need a lot more REPAIR, not UPGRADE, than something newer.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

So, after much consternation, what is the consensus? Cherokee , CJ5 o

Libby (whatever that is). I vote for Cherokee. The six banger is the preferred engine, yes? What would be an appropriate price to pay if all systems are workin and the tires are useable

-- BuntRVer

Reply to
BuntRVer