Jeep Transmission

My Jeeps 5-speed transmission "ticks" gears bad when I shift from 1st to

2nd, "ticks" gears a little less when shifted from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes but not always it will "tick" when shifting 3rd to 4th. Never "ticks" when moving to 5th. There is only a problem when the weather is cold and as soon as the transmission warms up it disappears. The transmission shop said a new transmission fluid may fix the problem. Are these transmissions like other Chrysler transmissions where they will only accept Mopar fluid or will they use any brand transmission fluid with no problems? Can a transmission make a knocking noise that can trick you into thinking your engine is knocking? This morning was extremely cold and there was a new noise from under the hood when I started it. It was a low pitch whistle, almost sounded like wind. What would that be?

thanks

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L, 5-Speed 228,000k
Reply to
Chris & Mary

Your tranny will accept standard gear oil...only the trannies in 2000-later model years need the special stuff (incidentally, is available in the aftermarket as Pennzoil Syncromesh).

The noise you heard was probably cold belts, thick oil, or cold fan clutch. When it gets down to below 20F or so (like it is right now around here, call>My Jeeps 5-speed transmission "ticks" gears bad when I shift from 1st to

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo