Jeep Wagoneer Running VERY Rich

Hi, I have an 87 Jeep Wagoneer with the 4.0. It seems to be running very very rich at the moment amd I have no clue why either. It's actually running so rich that I am getting about 4 miles to the gallon. Now, you all need to understand that this is an offroad beater, so it's been ridden hard, and has a few vacuum lines missing, etc... I'm not sure if this is the problem though... Any ideas?

Reply to
waterboy44

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks for the advice. I've already tried all that though. =-( It gets weirder though... The Jeep stumbles and misses below 2,500 RPM, then i'll rev it and it will miss and stumble, but as soon as it hits 2,500 and thereafter, it runs beautiful, has all its power, and seems normal. I just don't get it?

Reply to
waterboy44

Look for a leaking needle-and-seat... raw gas is probably dumping into the carb. You can test this by clamping the fuel line closed and noticing an improved idle... clamp the rubber portion! __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Well this is EFI, so there is no carberator...

Reply to
waterboy44

what kind of carb do you have?

Robb S wrote:

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Maybe you have a stuck open fuel injector. It could cause your symptoms. I would be pulling the plugs to see which cylinder was burning wrong.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I was wondering if maybe the 02 sensor was bad, telling the computer to give more gas? I will also check the plugs. Thanks

Reply to
waterboy44
02 sensor bad or wiring bad MAP bad or vacuum leaking CTS bad TPS bad

get the Renix system checked with a scanner/tester so you can see what the ECM sees.

Reply to
One out of many daves

The O2 is under recall for the renix systems. If you haven't had it done, now is the time.