jeep welding trailer write up

since i needed a small portable complete and self contained welding rig that could be safely pulled by a quarter ton jeep i ended up building a new one using all new equipment. ive done an extensive write up on the build including 30 pictures (thumbnails on the main page to keep it dial up friendly) and explanations for my reasons behind most everything i did throughout the build. most of the write up could be used for building a camping trailer also. going with the 31" tires gives the trailer awesome ground clearance as youll see in the pictures. if ground clearance is an issue i also suggest using a swing-away jack instead of the a coupler jack i used.

the trailer is legal in north carolina as is, but ill add lights and fenders before mondak.

maybe some of you will find it useful.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

L.W.(ßill)

When is Mondak? Is that some Yankee holiday? ;^)

Reply to
Jeepers

Dude, you need a vice on that trailer, and a small welding table. Perhaps in the receiver hitch.

Nice job.

Reply to
Jeepers

Sweet job!

How is the tongue weight?

That almost looks back heavy to me, but photos don't always tell....

Mike

Nathan Collier wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Nathan Collier did pass the time by typing:

Or at least tuesdak.

Nice. Only thing I see that might be a problem is rust forming under those plastic bins if you mounted them flush. Might want to stand them up about 1/4" with washers or some such so any water that gets under can get out.

I've seen several trucks with rust due to those plastic bins being bolted directly to the bed.

.. Here is a trick I saw on a local welders rig. He stuck 2" receivers along both sides of the trailer. That let him put on a carrier for pipe/ladders. If I see him at the pub I'll try to get some pictures. Been a while though.

Off the top of my noggin it looked something like this.

The arms were made of tube that could swivel and be locked so they could point inboard or outboard. Couldn't have been more than 1 1/2" pipe, they wern't too stout and the bottom was a 2" standard hitch. They had a flange on top and a pin that held them.

Reply to
DougW

Good idea.

Maybe one for a shade unbrella. The welding trucks here in South Texas have these big arms that swing out with a holder for the shade.

An old wheel rim (matching mag) for the leads and gas lines?

You'll need a small compressor too. :^)

Reply to
Jeepers

My small Tractor Supply bought trailer has my Lincoln Welder and Oxy-Acet and a Craftsman compressor and a B&S sprayer on it. A must have for ranch work.

I need a vice on it too.

Reply to
Jeepers

mondak = montana/dakotas. we arent commited yet and could go either way.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

heh....how close are you to the rubicon trail?

Reply to
Nathan Collier

see "I welded a 2" receiver hitch to the back of the trailer frame. This will allow me to pull an additional welding trailer if need be, and it also allows me the flexibility of using hitch accessories such as the basket pictured above for hauling additional tools and equipment. I mounted my vice onto a piece of 2x2x.125 tubing that I'll keep in the large toolbox. When I need a vice, I'll simply slide it into the receiver. I've done the same thing with my bench grinder, and even a small portable welding table." :-)

thanks! i hated to finish it up because i enjoyed the entire process....figured it was time to wrap it up so i could actually make some money with it though.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

bolt it to a piece of 2"x2" tubing and mount a receiver on the trailer. its pretty handy being able to keep those things out of the weather, and just slide them in the receiver when its time to use them.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

thanks mike!

the tongue weight varies depending upon how much stuff i have in the front tool box. in those pics there is about 100 pounds of tongue weight.

yeah, photo angle.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

thanks doug.

ill only use the trailer until the rubicon sells since i prefer to work off the back of a flatbed truck.

he sounds like me. since doing the write up ive added two more receivers to the side for holding a ladder rack.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

jeepers... you are talking to yourself again... LOL

Reply to
Joe