Jeep YJ Lift Options

Hi,

I have a 92 Jeep Wrangler YJ with a Rancho 2.5" lift that I installed

12 years ago to run 31" tires. I would now like to install 33" tires and want a little more clearance for them. This Jeep is no longer my daily driver. I want to keep it street friendly but I would also like to explore more moderate to aggressive off-roading. I DO NOT want to do a body lift and I've heard a shackle lift will cause it wander more and have more bump steer. I'm considering two options and would like to know if there are any hidden costs with these options.

Lower cost Option 1: FTS 2" Lift Shackle Reversal Kit.

Higher cost Option 2: Replace current 2.5" suspension with new 3.5" -

4.5" suspension kit.

I would prefer the lower cost but I want to make an informed decision before spending. Also, if there are other options please let me know.

Thanks. :)

Reply to
KH

Additionally, I have a Currie SYE w/ rear CV driveshaft.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Reply to
KH

Kev, I have a 93 YJ with OME 2.5" suspension system and am able to run 33 x 9.5 BFG's under it. There is not alot of room for articulation, but I do not do serious crawling, most of my activity is through the forests on rutted trails. This setup provides me with significant ground clearance.

I have considered doing a 1" shackle lift - not sure what the pros or cons are.... maybe one of the guru's here could shed more light.

good luck and enjoy! paul

Reply to
paul

Forget the Shackle reversal option! Been there done that with my 92YJ. I removed it after about a year because I could not get used to the nose dive when hard braking. All it did was soften up the ride, and did not enhance the offroad ability at all. Some guys with the shorter wheel base Jeeps don't have the issues with the nose dive I've heard, but man I sure did. And the added weight up front with a winch and heavy duty bumper made the brake dive even more severe and down right dangerous.

Go with a good suspension lift like the Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme duty kit:

are very flexy and well-made springs. Terry

Terry Jeffrey

I've been looking at the Rubicon Express 4.5" kit.

I'll be going that route.

Thanks!

Reply to
KH