Jen and I are looking into buying a travel trailer...

Something along the 18-24 foot lenght As light as possible.

My question is, whats the longest/heaviest(Realistically) we could pull? I know the Liberty has a 5000 lbs towing weight limit, but I don't want to max out the towing capacity! I am also toying with the idea of a flat deck trailer and mounting a "Pick-up" type camper shell to it... That way, I can use it either for camping of pulling my Mini around.

Any sugestions or ideas folks?

Cheers Ry'

Reply to
socks09

Weight is one issue, wheelbase and wind cross-section is another.

Remember, towing capacity is lessened with extra weight in the vehicle. The manufacturer uses weight of the vehicle plus driver at 170 pounds then subtracts that from the amount of weight the vehicle can move down the road.

So heaviest is 5000 lbs - your normal cargo load and passengers.

The boxier the trailer the more demand it will put on your engine and transmission. If you plan on towing close to the limit you will either need to move slower or get a trans cooler.

Best bet is to ask here.

DougW

Thanks Doug...

I figure on 3000-3500 lbs. maximum loaded weight. I've been mountaineering/backpacking for the last 31 years so know how to pack really light! And still pack light when just car camping with a tent... The only real weight we carry is food, beer, and goodies! The rest of our gear is light weight as well. I'm just tired of tenting and cooking under a tarp in the wet weather! I looked at a Trillium and Bowler, just not enough head room to stand up and not enough leg room to really stretch out. I'm 6'5" tall. Would be nice to have a little luxury now.

Our KJ has the heavy duty cooling kit. Mechanical engine driven fan, aux. tranny cooler fitted as well.

Cheers

Ry'

Reply to
socks09

How about a teardrop. :)

DougW

A bit to small for us! Jen and I are trying to have a kid and would like some extra room and comfort!

Mind you, one of those behind my '76 Mini would be choice!

I allways wanted to convert a classic 1940's-1950's deep freeze into a cool trailer to pull behind a Mini!

A double wide coff>

socks09

Personally, I'd recommend a trans cooler regardless if you are doing more than an occasional tow. They are cheap, and for an automatic, temperature is everything.

Reply to
PeterD