JK transfer case or lever stuck

2008 Jeep JK .. I put transfer case in neutral to tow behind my motor home. Seemed to go in a little weird but 150 miles later it does not shift into 2 high ... I can get 4lo, neutral, and 4hi but it will not go into 2hi.... Seems like the lever is binding... Anyone got any ideas???????
Reply to
D-R

My only suggest is to try rocking (use a friend to push on the bumper, engine off) the Jeep while you try to shift it. Also, is it an automatic or stick shift? (If automatic, keep the shifter for the transmission in neutral not park...)

Reply to
PeterD

Tried about everything.. almost seems like it is the in the mechanism not the case... Had this happen once before and just keep trying things and all of a sudden it worked... that was 1 1/2 years ago. No idea what it was....

Reply to
D-R

Did it again .... driving slow on the street..

4hi..neutral..4lo..neutral..4hi and all of a sudden it dropped into 2hi and I can shift in and out of 4wd with no problem... wish I had even a clue!!!!! While I am a happy camper now I sure would like to know what caused the problem......
Reply to
D-R

Just a hunch, but did you try shifting to reverse and goosing the engine then trying the shift? Things do bind with all the differential actions - I've seen this one about every tc I've used. Part-time, full time, they all have some amount of bind.

Reply to
Will Honea

And check underneath to make sure you don't have a tree wedged in the linkage. ^_^ don't ask......

Reply to
DougW

Nope no tree .. I tried everything backwards and forwards... though I did not goose it in reverse.. If it ever happens again I will even try that. I did have it on gravel so I don't think anything was torqued up.. I wish I even knew if the problem was in the case or the shifter mechanism. The shifter is difficult to get to so I did not check it... Oh Well I gonna run H*** out of it in the Arizona desert this winter and then trade it for a Rubi...

Reply to
D-R

I'm no JK expert but most of the older PT transfer cases have an adjustment to the linkage arms. Loosen the adjustment bolts, insert a suitable pin, adjust arms to fit exactly.

Reply to
RoyJ

Reminds me of the time I bought a used F-150... Asked the guy how the

4x4 worked, and he said he didn't know (original owner, too!) Turns out that lack of use resulted in the shifter linkage rusting into one solid mass of rusty iron, no way it would have shifted!
Reply to
PeterD

They can torque up on loose surfaces as well as hard, just not nearly as badly. I suspect that was what the problem was.

One hint, I've found that many 4x4s will shift better if it (the shifter/xfer case) are used about once a month. They like to be used.

Reply to
PeterD