Jumping the starter soleniod ?

I have an '89 YJ, 4.2 . The bolt on the solenoid that goes to the battery broke. There are 3 wires to the solenoid, if I need to start the car from the starter can I just cross the 2 larger wires? Right now I have it connected, but I'm afraid I might get stuck before I get the time to repair it. Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe C

I believe so, A friend of mine showed me once. (I believe it's the two posts at the sides, BUT I am not sure... been a while)

But why not replace it ? The th> I have an '89 YJ, 4.2 . The bolt on the solenoid that goes to the battery

Reply to
csdude

As long as your ignition still has power, you can jump the starter wire like that or even push start it.

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > I have an '89 YJ, 4.2 . The bolt on the solenoid that goes to the battery
Reply to
Mike Romain

Hey Mike, This is my daily driver, and I have it soldered right now. I was having intermittent starter problems so I checked the wires.The wire from the battery at the solenoid was loose and when I tried to tighten it the bolt broke. It looks like a copper bolt. I have to order the solenoid so a good fix has to wait. I just wanted to have an option if my soldering doesn't hold up. Would you know how easy it is to replace the solenoid since I don't want to replace the whole starter? Thanks

Reply to
Joe C

Is your solenoid down on the starter or are you talking the firewall one? The firewall one is easy... I don't think you can buy the one on the starter anymore, but could be wrong. If it is changeable it isn't a hard job.

Mike

Joe C wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hand-holding onto a pair of wires arcing a 200 amp spark is too exciting to me.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It's just like welding. Except for the arc that jumps from your fly. O_o

Reply to
DougW

Button jeans were made for a reason!

Reply to