Just bought a 1988 4.0 Cherokee, had a few questions

Hey everyone,

I bought a 1988 4.0 Jeep Cherokee on a whim - $600, seems to run well aside from an exhaust manifold (or gasket) creating a bit of noise.

My questions: What kind of power does the 4.0 engine put out? I see lots of info on 91-04 engine specs, but they are the MPI, not sure if this one is TBI or what..

If everything but the engine sucks on the truck, how hard would it be to swap that 4.0 into my 89 YJ with the 4.2? My only complaint about the beast...

I don't want to steal the engine from it if it's driveable... It would be nice to have a second vehicle to drive and give me a chance to rebuild the YJ, so any other advice on getting that XJ up and running would be appreciated!

Regards, Chris

Reply to
Christian Fry
173 HP @ 4500RPM 220ft lbs torque @ 2500RPM on 88 Cherokee
Reply to
Mark12211

Reply to
Christian Fry

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Is the fact that it's from france make it sub-par, expensive to repair, or is that a boycott?

No doud aboud it, I'm from Canada, eh? Chris

Reply to
Christian Fry

Probably just cumbersome to get parts for. When I was chatting up one local tranny shop about my `89 Cherokee with the French auto transmission he said he wouldn't touch them. Not because they were any better or worse to work on but because it would take him forever to get parts and he didn't want it to be sitting around his shop that long.

By the way: Mopar has discontinued some repair parts for earlier Cherokees -- like the radiator for mine. And that exhaust noise you heard is very likely the manifold, look for a crack between 4 and 5.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

This is the Renix computer. (Renault/Bendix joint venture) The later Chrysler computer was used on the HO engines and was combined with a little better intake manifold and the elimination if EGR. Unfortunately the knock sensor was also eliminated. The earlier block with the Renix computer has been a favorite for people building strokers engines (4.0 block & pistons with a 4.2 crank and rods = 4.6L for fairly cheap) Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Lowe

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)