Just checking in

Just checking in to see if the haterz are still hanging here. I don't see too many. I put the Wrangler in the ditch last Friday, heading uphill in four inches of wet snow. It turns out that part time fwd isn't so good in a skid. We got a good foot of the stuff in Silverton over the weekend, but today was sunny. Maybe tomorrow I'll stop in at the tire store.

Saludos,

Earle Horton

Reply to
Earle Horton

Sometimes the only thing that stops a skid is a ditch or a tree. Been there done that. Full time 4wd doesn't help much either. :/

Sounds like you survived it, that's the important bit. Jeeps can be rebuilt.

Next time get some chains. :)

Reply to
DougW

No damage, and I got an assist in a couple of minutes. Last year I bounced off a guard rail in slow motion and just scuffed the fender flares. Chains front or back?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

done that. Full time 4wd doesn't help much either.

That's always an interesting question, there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Some roads I've been on they want chains on all four. What I've read says is if you are 4wd then chain all four wheels or just the front. But some vehicles don't have enough clearance on the front wheels and in my old truck I just chained up the rears. 2wd, chains on the front wouldn't help a thing.

Been running cable style chains because the ZJ has some clearance issues. I need a new set, mine have started to get iffy. Cable chains just don't last as long as regular chains do. Looking at the Shur Grip Super Z, but need to do a bit more research.

We just don't get that much snow here and it doesn't stick around long. The few times I've used those were do to heavy ice. If I lived back in Montana again I'd have winter tires with studs.

Reply to
DougW

Wrantlers can be a real handful in snow... I did the same thing (fortunately there was no ditch, just a snow bank) with mine once. Just touched the gas, and bingo, so fast I didn't have time to react: I was spun around and headed 90 degrees to the left!

Reply to
PeterD

Both ends.

Reply to
PeterD

I thought chains should be on the drive axle only. In a Jeep, that would be the rear because 4WD might be off, and the chains on the front in that case would not do any good.

I'll go with the idea of putting chains on all four tires because there's no such thing as too many sets of chains.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hey Earle, how's it hanging?

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > Just checking in to see if the haterz are still hanging here. I don't
Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi hi Earl.

-Bill

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The chains on the front tend to do good in the form of braking and steering.

I just use studded snows and the egg on the gas pedal.

Reply to
Lon

Egg...

I always tell people to drive like they have a full crock of shit on the seat next to them, and they don't want to spill a single drop. It works.

One of the best drivers I ever knew could take a 3/4 full cup of coffee, put it on the dash, get to the destination faster than anyone else, and never spill a single drop. He was good... (Yea, I watched him do it once.)

Reply to
PeterD

Hi Earle

It's good to hear from you!

Merrill

Reply to
merrill

I didn't spill the coffee but I still wound up in the ditch.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Good, just checkin' for haterz. In Facebook, there's people I haven't seen in forty years. Some of them, another forty would be too soon. Hope you're doing well. I get to see my grandchildren next week. Bring a credit card...

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton