Just saw radiator water drop by the bell housing

I just took the jeep out and on my way decided to pick up a jacket in my other car. Also I wanted to take a look at the U-Joint to see how it was doing as I was hearing some noises. As I look I see a drop of radiator water fall right out of the end of the bell housing. I watch again and another drop falls.

Then I drive it around the block and don't see it after I stop.

Where could this be leaking from?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

BTW, I know it was radiator water because it had a tinge of green.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

William Oliveri did pass the time by typing:

The cooling system? :)

Sorry, obligatory smart-ass answer.

Check your heater core lines. They can get pinholes or cracks and spray on the valve cover then run back.

Reply to
DougW

I'm serious. WTF? It's a conspiracy.

The jeep is possessed.

Bill, the manifold bolts holes are exposed to the water jacket?

I never put sealant on mine when I changed out the MPI kit and had no problems.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I'll check them but, If that was the case wouldn't I see it more as the jeep warms up and gets more water pressure?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

BTW, it looked like it came from "Inside" the bell housing. At the bottom there's like a one inch rectangular gap that the water fell from. Now what do you think?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I really don't freaking believe it!

Man oh man, what kind of choice for quality do you have down there for competent repairs?

Bill, I feel sorry for you.

Check the back corner of the head for a coolant leak. Just start it up and put a piece of paper towel down around the back of the head to block joint by the firewall to see if it comes up wet.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

William Oliveri did pass the time by typing:

It is possible a casting/freeze plug has started to leak. There are two located behind the flywheel. Getting to them require removing the engine so check everything else first.

Lots of things look like they come from the bell housing, including oil leaks from the valve cover that look like a leaking rear main seal.

Dry all the hose connections and start the engine flex each hose around the clamps if there is a small leak it will be real easy to spot. Check for real soft hoses, soft spots, or bulges in the hose.

Yes, but with the engine running what sprays out can evaporate or get blown all over by the engine fan. When the engine is turned off the remaining pressure starts the leak. Some evaporates, some runs back.

Reply to
DougW

Ok,

Here's a pic of the engine before it went in. I see the freeze plugs you're talking about.

I looked at all the hoses on a first round and didn't find anything. Now it's getting dark so I'll try again tomorrow on a second pass and I'll be specifically looking for this as I start the engine.

Could be the freeze plug tightens up as the engine warms thus cutting off the flow of liquid escaping.

There's a full warranty on the engine so if he has to pull it for a 2.00 freeze plug (I'm guessing at the price) then it's on his shoulders.

I'll just be down without a running jeep until it's fixed, if that's the problem.

So maybe by NEXT FREAKIN summer I'll have a jeep to drive :-)

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

William Oliveri did pass the time by typing:

Yep. It's unusual for one to leak but not impossible.

I had a hard time finding the leak in my ZJ. Opened the hood moved one hose and it pissed all over me. :/

Yes.

If it's just the plug it shouldn't be that long, day or two.

I know the feeling. Between the exhaust header breaking and various other things I've spent the last several weekends working on the Jeep rather than off-roading.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill, did the engine builder put any type of sealer on the brass freeze plugs when he installed them? It's hard to tell from the pic, but I don't see any. Some people claim you don't need sealer on them, but a light coating of high tack is a good idea.

Chris

It's probably my imagination or the light or the way it was painted or something, but the lowest freeze plug on the back looks like its in crooked. The black one below the brass one. It looks like the bottom of the plug is set deeper into the hole than the top.

I don't mean to make you paranoid. It just looks odd to me.

Reply to
Charlie

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

don't forget to check the temp sensor at the back of the head if u have it... man. i'd be going crazy if i were you....

Reply to
serg

Mike, you are one SMART MoFo. You are my Master of mechanics and I am your Grasshopper.

Exactly as you stated. When I started it up I looked for coolant. Then I see a line dripping down the side of the back of the engine. Put my hand around the temperature sensor and it was dry as a bone. Then around the back of the head as you said and Bingo, there it was.

Ok, Actually if there was going to be a leak then I'm glad it was there rather than a freeze plug. I can just see myself trying to convince the machine shop that there was leak from a freeze plug that only lasted a few minutes into the drive. At least this I can show him and plus the whole engine doesn't have to be pulled.

Now, first. How did you know (please educate me Master)? and second, what's the remedy? Pull the head and re-seat?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Just waiting for UPS to deiver that Killah set of spinnerz and the fuzzy dice! :D

Reply to
DougW

I suspected that, but wasn't sure.

Reply to
Charlie

Just a wild assed guess. Your 'mechanic' was messing with head gasket bolts and one water channel is in the back corner. You 'really' can't do that on a normal build, let alone a build where the head doesn't mate up correctly to the engine.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain