K & N Air Filter Questions

I've heard the arguements pro and con. Who has experience with them on Jeeps? Is it true they can let more dirt get through to the engine? Lots of dust here in the desert..

I used one on my previous vehicle (2001 Honda Passport SUV) and I think it was actually a liability after 50,000 miles. And yes I cleaned it as needed.

Skyslider

Reply to
Skyslider

I have the MoPar version of the K&N on my '04 TJ I6. I change my oil every 3K miles and clean the filter every second oil change following the instructions on the cleaning kit (P5153376). I check for crud buildup in the aluminum tube when i pull the filter for cleaning. I've got over 50K miles on my TJ and I don't burn a measurable amount between oil changes and with new NGK plugs every 20K miles. I live in Arizona, but up in the White Mountains. No doubt you get a lot more dust than I do.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Thanks Frank and PF. I guess you both endorse the K & N over the standard paper filter..... Because I'm not a car guy by nature I'd like to keep this vehicle with stock parts, mostly to not void any warranty... In any event I think I'll pick another one up..

Skyslider

Reply to
Skyslider

Thanks Frank and PF. I guess you both endorse the K & N over the standard paper filter..... Because I'm not a car guy by nature I'd like to keep this vehicle with stock parts, mostly to not void any warranty... In any event I think I'll pick another one up..

Skyslider

--- --- --- --- --- --- If you live in the desert with lots of dust a good option is to use the paper filters and change them frequently. You can get a sock type thing to go over the K&N off road filters but what's the point of an off road filter with additional restriction? Do not clean the paper filters. The dust gets in there, damaging the paper fibers. Then when you hit it with water or air it just damages it more on the way out. If you vacuumed it the dust would still damage it some. I have a shop vac filter that is designed to be cleaned with a garden hose, but your car filter is not.

I have had a K&N on my Jeep for 80,000 miles but I clean it regularly and do not let it get covered with congealed dust bunnies like some people do.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The dealer I bought the MoPar filter from said since it was a Chrysler Performance Part it wouldn't affect my warranty. That's why I went with that one over the K&N. I would have waited until my 3/36 warranty had expired before using a K&N filter. As a practical matter they're almost identical except for the MoPar logo :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Frank I checked...K & N claims it violates No warranties. What is retail price for the Mopar version. K & N retails for around 40 dollars.

Now I DO recall the extra power it delivers. Many buyers claim 2mpg improvement in mileage. I call that significant these days..

Skyslider

Reply to
Skyslider

Light bulb comes on over Frank's head :-) You're talking about the replacement for the stock air filter. I'm talking about the complete intake system (Chrysler P5153368). A bit more than $40. Sorry about the mix up. But it does get better mileage than stock and a bit more power (enough to notice).

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

First time I've heard of that Bill...

Skyslider

Reply to
Skyslider

Reply to
RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

That is the the most false statement I have ever read. Just pure BS. I run a Mini ralley car with a 1293cc all steel engine150bhp and the same engine oil and gearbox are shared. {Or is some f*ck going to tell me that is not so.}) and I use K&N filters for my intake, oil, and fuel filtration needs. Full of shit is all I can say. My intake runners are as clean as clean can get, no grit...

Stupid people post stupid bullshit.

Reply to
Socks

Reply to
Socks

Read what I responded to wild bill....

You too must have brown eyes... "Cause you are FULL OF SHIT ASS WIPE" Actually go out and but one and try it before you comment on a product and slander your self.

Reply to
Socks

Wipe your ass with your finger... That's where you get you shit.

Reply to
Socks

Reply to
RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

Reply to
RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

I have friends that used those filters until they did Bills test! I watched. The amount of crap that the K&N lets through up here on our Canadian bush trails and streets was more than enough to convince them to go back to the proper OEM paper filter.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Read my post about Rally racing in my Rally car... It's dusty in the interior of B.C. as well, granted, the filter gets dirty but not to a point where it chokes an engine because the filter is clogged. Oh, and I too have checked the bores on dual carb set-up and what you saw about Bill's "Test" just is not so! It is a load of crap.

I'm told to do my homework. Bull shit is what bullshit writes.

Reply to
Socks

Well, K&N state quite clearly that their filters 'do' let more dirt 'through' because nothing is for free. You want more flow, you get more dirt, really simple.

I never mentioned a clogged filter, neither did Bill that I can see, that happens with all of them if you leave them long enough and has no bearing on what was asked here. The OP asked how much got 'through'.

The amount of crap that the K&N lets through from driving on our salt dusted or just dusty roads here in Ontario Canada is unacceptable to 'me' for sure. Folks come to me with carb issues and I see the results and dirt inside when they have these 'fancy' air filters on. When they also see it, they don't need convincing to change back.

Now it 'could' have to do with the particle size we have here. Maybe that salty sand residue is just the right size to wander right through the filter, I don't know.

I will remember this and next time I see one I will take photos of the inside of the air filter and the crud that builds up with a K&N.

So what kind of a 'mini' are you driving and how many miles do you put on it? When I see these filters, they have lots of miles on them....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Uh, yeah; right. Name one - who's not paid to use K&N, that is. Remember, if there's a K&N sticker on the car, the filter was probably given to them for free and it pays contingency money if they can win a race in spite of it.

P.T. Barnum can tell you why. One of those 100 is born every minute ... weren't you?

-- C.R. Krieger (Not paid by K&N - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

Reply to
Motorhead Lawyer