Krylon fusion and fender flare solution

Greetings Jeepers, As we all know, most of the previously posted solutions to restore color to faded fender flares work well, but the grey reappears in days to weeks.

After seeing an ad for Krylon Fusion outdoor plastic furniture paint, I went and picked up a couple of cans of gloss black about 3 months ago. The results have been very impressive (as hopefully Steve Boyd can verify the next time I drive by his house!). It took 2 spray cans to put 4 thin coats on my Bestop flares.

Wash flares with dishwashing detergent and a soft brush to get rid of dirt/grease. Cover at least 2 feet of the adjacent area and the wheels with masking tape and plastic sheeting. Lightly sand the plastic with fine grit sandpaper and wipe clean with lacquer thinner. Walk around Jeep 4 times and spray a thin layer on each fender as you pass by! Wait 2-3 hours to dry and pull off the masking tape. It takes about 2 weeks for the paint to cure fully. The end result was worth the effort. 3 months later it looks as good as new.

Hope this helps some of you who have been looking for a more than temporary solution. Hopefully I'm done until the next tree hugs the TJ!

Regards, Guri Sandhu

98TJ
Reply to
G.Sandhu

I did about the same with my discolored flares, except I used the Krylon Satin black. I think it looks more original and tends to hide minor imperfections in the flares better than the high gloss. I wish us both luck.

Reply to
gbray

I agree that the satin is closer to the original color. I did consider satin but went with the gloss simply because the dirt and mud (and Minnesota salt) are easier to hose off the smoother surface. In addition, once I was done, I found that it has given the flares a nice deep wet appearance that looks great against my Chili Pepper paint even after 3 months. I'm sure we will both be happy with this for a long time. Regards,

Guri Sandhu

98TJ
Reply to
G.Sandhu