Land Rover/Range Rover engines and Chevy Novas?

I remember reading that Chevy Novas (which had overhead cams!) had a great motor slated to go in them that was sold off to Land Rover/Range Rover. I think it was the same block as the Chevy Nova but was all AL? Does anyone know more about this?

Where did the overhead cam Chevy Nova engine come from? Was it engineered specifically for the Nova?

Wblane

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Was it a 225 originally ? It was 215 (3528cc) when LR put it out, but I dont know if they modified it much. I'm still running headgaskets from the 61-63 Buick in my Rover ( the head has fewer bolt holes now as the original had too many on the inside of the V which led to the gaskets blowing on the outside of the V )

Dave Milne

Probably better off posting this on alt.fan.landrover

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Why would anyone care and why did you post this bull shit here?

This newsgroup does have a posted Charter and it's topic is Jeeps.

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mike

Wblane wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

This is WAAAAY off topic, so I will post these links to kill this thread. This discussion needs to be in a LR forum or group..

QUOTE from above link:

The 3.5L carburettor version was produced in a variety of states of tune from 135bhp / 190 lb-ft in the early RR down to 91bhp / 166 lb ft in the Stage-1 (thanks to intake restrictor plates). Fuel injection increased power to 165bhp. The 3.9L version gave 185bhp and the 4.2L

200bhp. 1950: Buick light-alloy 3.5L V8, ohv. 1960: Engine used in Buick Skylark, Pontiac Tempest, Oldsmobile Cutlass. 1964: Rover buy the design. First used in Rover 3500 sedan. 1966, 1967: Jack Brabham wins the (3.0L) Formula One world championship using a `Repco' derivative of the engine. My recollection is that it has 2v/cyl, sohc/bank giving about 350bhp. 1970: Engine used in Range Rover 4WD. 1960s/70s: 4.4L in Australian P76 sedan and Terrier trucks. 1979: 3.5L used in Stage-1 Land-Rover. 1983: 110 and 1984: 90. 1986ish: Supaspares (Queensland) making 5.0L versions with 94.1mm (3.705") bore, from P76 and Terrier engines. 1990: 3.5L used in Discovery. 1992: Land-Rover 3.9L and 4.2L versions in Discovery / RR. 1994: Land-Rover 4.0L and 4.6L versions in revised Range Rover. 4.0L: (3950cc) 94mm x 71mm, 9.34:1 cr, 140kW at 4750rpm, 320Nm at 3000rpm 4.6L: (4554cc) 94mm x 82mm, 9.34:1 cr, 166kW at 4750rpm, 377Nm at 3000rpm

UNQUOTE.

-long and interesting history of the engine's development.
and tech articles The LR engine is very expensive to fix, esp considering its age and lack of sophistication. It was never OHC, and it was not used in the Nova.

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Back in the '60's Rover bought the old small block aluminum Buick V8 and ended up putting it in everything they sold. Since most of the4 brands are now history, only Land Rover continues with this well over-used OHV engine. FWIW, Land Rover will beging using the Jaguar AJV8 next year in the replacement for the Disc II. Eventually the Range Rover will get the Jaguar V8 in place of the current BMW4.4L.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It was a great little engine - all alloy, very compact, powerful and light.

Dave Milne

Well overused ? Ouch. What's your opinion on the I6 ?

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Re: OT - Land Rover/Range Rover engines and Chevy Novas? by "Dave Milne" Jul 5, 2004 at 08:16 PM

It was a great little engine - all alloy, very compact, powerful and light.

Please don't think all us colonials are stupid. Aluminum and aluminum/steel engines were available from the 1930s in American and imported quality cars, and people should have known what was required. Not only that, the owner's and service manuals GM put out were quite explicit. These engines have given excellent service in a lot of sports car swaps and even homebuilt aircraft (Wittman Tailwind) here in the States.

This is very much on topic because AMC bought tooling to build the Buick V6, which is the same family of engines as the alloy 215, the iron 300, and the long procession of Buick and AMC V6s. One big happy-if cared for-family of engines. One Tailwind owner is flying a Rover engine with the 300 Buick crank, btw.

Reply to
TinyDieselUSA

Interesting - didn't know of the AMC connection. Over here, it has the reputation of being very durable and reliable ; it has appeared in everything from a 90 hp LandRover to a 300hp TVR sportscar.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III