Leaking Radiator - 2000 TJ

This morning I noticed that my Jeep Wrangler was leaking coolant. I pop the hood and remove the shroud to find a nice stream of coolant which has been trickling down from the radiator where the plastic "cap" of the radiator meets the metal part on the top. Is this something that happens rather often with Jeep radiators?

I assume this must be something that happens quite often as quoted on Stu Olson's page and searching.

Since I'll be needing to replace the radiator most likely rather soon, where is the best place to get a replacement? radiators.com or radiatorbarn.com? Also, will the radiator have the plastic / metal flawed design?

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Weber

Pete. As a Jeep mechanic I see this all the time. In fact I replaced a Wrangler radiator today with a leaking upper tank seal. I would be careful where I bought the radiator because some of the after marker radiators seem to have a smaller core depth than OEM units causing overheating. The easiest and most precise way to measure the core depth (or thickness) is to insert a piece of wire between the fins of the radiator. Mark the wire and measure it for your core depth measurement. Pete make sure you get a new radiator with the same core depth as the one in it.. Mike

Reply to
Michael Simon