Leaky Oil Filter Gasket?

My 1989 Jeep Cherokee has sprung an oil leak, its seems to be coming from up by the oil filter. At first I thought that maybe the filter wasn't on tight enough so I (over?)tightened it but still the leak persist. How hard is it to change the gasket? I can't find any info on the subject in the shop Manuel. Any place online to order a new gasket from.

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

Kyonn,

How big is the leak? Are you sure it's the filter, not the base thats bolted to the block? If the filter leaks... get a new filter. Do you have the correct filter?

FYI Make sure the oil filter gasket comes off! If you leave a gasket on the motor and install a new filter with its gasket,. You will leave all the oil in the engine on the ground within a couple of minutes.

Check the surface where the filter seats. It should be fairly smooth, no roughness or pits.

just my ramblings, Brian

Reply to
bulletsnbrains

would probably cost as much for just a gasket as it would cost for the complete oil filter with a gasket. look above the oil filter to verify that the leak is not originating from somewhere else (i.e.: the valve cover gasket, etc). If not - then try changing the oil filter - fill the new one with oil & wipe some of the new oil on the gasket before you install it. The oil on the gasket is so that it won't grab & stretch or "crinkle" while you are spinning it on (this may be what is wrong with the filter that is on the engine now). It should only have to be hand tight (don't need to use an oil filter wrench to tighten it).

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

This a case of bad terminology on my part, by oil filter gasket I mean the part of the engine that the oil filter screws on to. In the pass I've heard it referred to as the oil filter gasket but I have also heard other names such as oil filter mount, oil filter neck or oil filter adaptor.

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

Yes I meant the base. This a case of bad terminology on my part, by oil filter gasket I mean the part of the engine that the oil filter screws on to. In the pass I've heard it referred to as the oil filter gasket but I have also heard other names such as oil filter mount, oil filter neck or oil filter adaptor.

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

The adapter is mounted with one bolt. There are 3 O-rings - two between the adapter and the block, one around the bolt. Even the deal gets under $10 for the set. The bolt can be a flaming bitch to get loose, but it's a really simple job to replace those o-rings.

Reply to
Will Honea

your oil filter adapter either comes off with a torx wrench (T-50 or T-55 or T-60?) or a regular hex wrench. It is on very tight but once that is loosened it is an easy task to replace all seals. or read here

especially here
later, dave

Reply to
Dave