Liberty ball joint recall- nine months!!!

I know there are some of you floating around with Liberty's that have been recalled because of lower ball joints that may fail.

This recall was announced on 8/1/06, and the recall began on 9/11/06. My wife did not get her recall notice until the middle of March, more then six months after the recall started.

I called my dealer to have the work done, and was told the earliest I could get it in was June 11, nine months after the start of a recall to fix a problem that can lead to a collapse of the front end and lose of your steering.

The recall notice says that if your dealer can not fix the defect within a reasonable time to call NHTSA or go to their website and let them know.

To me, nine months is not reasonable. I filed a complaint against DaimlerChrysler, and let my dealer know. They were glad I did, and wished others would do the same.

National Highway Traffic Safety Admin- 1-888-327-4236.

and file a safety defect complaint form, voicing your concern about not getting this done in a reasonable time frame.

Larry

Reply to
Retiredff

Good day, I just brought my Liberty in for servicing and the dealership replaced the ball joints under recall/ warranty. No questions asked. No delay. No problems.

Cheers Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Heibloem

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Goo day,

It's unfortunate that this nine month wait has happened to this fellows wife. However, The dealership I deal with, when asked about delay's concerning ball joint replacement, stated "that they keep a large number of Liberty ball joints on hand, just for that reason" When I asked if all local dealers did, the service manager simply said ""yes"

Now, as far as your comment! I don't understand?

Ry'

Reply to
Ryan Heibloem

Good day,

That would be unthinkable. However that is not the case for us. Or other Lberty owners up here In Western Canada!

Cheers Ry'

Reply to
Ryan Heibloem

Sounds to me you understood. What if your Stealership actually couldn't replace your ball joints, and one broke killing your family? God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
philthy

For what it is worth...

I called a few other dealers around (100 or so miles), and they all said the same. Not enough to go around; months-long waiting lists.

Basically, they get a few at a time, and they go to those at the top of list.

Here's the good part, though. If your Liberty fails the state safety inspection because of the ball joints, they take a set from the top of the waiting list in order to get yours back on the raod.

It might just be a distribution issue, whether nationwide (USA), regional, or whatever, but I doubt it.

Larry

Reply to
Retiredff

Good day,

It is unfortunate that DC is having a problem with the supply and demand of these lower ball joints. But if they don't get it sorted quickly, I foresee them quite possibly loosing a number of future customers due to this issue.And I can understand the frustration and anger that people must be dealing with as well. I got lucky, as well as other fellow Liberty owners that I have spoken too in my area. Win some loose some.

Cheers

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Heibloem